• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CAD 3D to 2D

functionpdx

I have a question about road bike ferrings that hopefully someone here has had some experience with. So, I was putting numbers on a race bike and realized that there's hardly anything close to a flat surface. I managed but it seems like there has to be a better way than eyeballing it.
Does anybody know if a program exists where you could apply your graphic to a 3d model and distort it to where it looks correct on the model, and then save the graphic as a 2d vector.

ChiknNutz

Yeah, BIG bux for a mainstream 3D app and a lot of learning ahead of you. Not worth the effort for this level of the craft.

ChiknNutz

Unigraphics or CATIA run about $20k to $50k per seat, SolidWorks or SolidEdge about $5k...you sure you're THAT serious about it? I'm sure that there are other less expensive "alternatives", but if you're talking about true 3D solid modeling, that's where you're at.

jiarby

18-20K for ProE or UG plus annual "maintenance" (extortion) and a 5K PC to run it on!

Not for making stickers... it is for making the whole bike! Get the guys that built the bike to export the part file for you.

encadtech

There is a cool 3d app that I found. It is called VIACAD 3d. It does object modeling and will produce all sorts of exports.. Best of all - its sub $100.00 I use it for modeling my 3d objects to produce on my cnc router. You can download a 15 day free trial and see if it will work for your app -- GL

dclet

swift 3d - on the cheap end..

personal favorite is 3d studio max. - older versions are floatin' around..relatively cheap.

learning modeling and skinning techniques can be daunting certainly not something you pick up over night.....