• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help calculating area of shape in corel draw?

freehand

Is there any way to calculate exact area of shape (letter for example) in Corel Draw 2020? Or maybe some script?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
As Uncle and Ronny mentioned, Corel doesn't do that unless you an appropriate macro.
For permitting- unless it's a shape where you actually can get the area via a geometric equation (a circle, rectangle, or triangle, for instance)- we do the "draw a rectangle around it" (or, for particularly tight restrictions, draw the rectangle around the elements) and figure the area accordingly.
Not what you asked about, but I'd mention one thing Corel does do that I think is pretty handy is give you the perimeter of items- which I use for determining how much material I need for jobs (particularly material for framing, channel letter coil, etc.). To get that number, convert your shape/letter/whatever to curves and go to Properties/Curve and it will tell you the length of the curve (the perimeter) of your item.

AndersHerp

Something, something Dark Side
Yes there is, but you have to have the object converted to a curve. In the Properties docker, there is a tab at the top that looks like a squiggly line and is called "curve." If you have the object converted to a curve and selected when you go to this tab, it tells you the length of that curve. I attached a screenshot to illustrate. The red object below the docker was converted to a curve and selected.

Attachments

• ScreenShot_CorelMeasurement.jpg
    ScreenShot_CorelMeasurement.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110

AndersHerp

Something, something Dark Side
Sorry, I was thinking distance of the perimeter of an object, say a channel letter. Hope this helps someone though.

JBurton

Signtologist
We've been down this rabbit hole before, easiest way to have something overestimated but close is to make a grid of 1" squares, group them, then perform an intersect function with the outer perimeter of your sign shape. This will only show the squares the sign covers, giving you a rough count of square inches to convert to square feet.
Alternatively, Flexi has this built in, though I believe it's a little buried in the software.

Cadman

Saturn

Aging Member
If you've got any nerd in you, the chatbots can write more than passable scripts/macros for Illustrator and CorelDRAW these days too. Multiplying the width and height of a selected object and then giving the value in inches is right up ChatGPT's alley.

Might have to jump through more hoops in Corel getting them "installed", but I've had great success getting "AI" to write simple Illustrator scripts for automation lately.