• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

calculating press time cost

CKCUSTOMKC

Creating a quoting tool for myself to use, and I was curious how you all calculated press time? is there any benefit to doing it as an hourly rate vs a flat rate? any input would be greatly helpful as I know there are a lot of factors that go into it

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Check the specs of your machine. Each print mode prints xx sq.ft. per hour. From there you should be able to figure out your time and costs .

rjssigns

hp latex 315, i guess i need to get better about putting detail in my questions lol
Got it. I posted in another thread about using a digital stopwatch to get exact times for everything from travel, to set up, printing etc...
Beats guessing or looking at the clock.

CKCUSTOMKC

Check the specs of your machine. Each print mode prints xx sq.ft. per hour. From there you should be able to figure out your time and costs .
I have everything figured out for time and what not, I just dont know how much to charge per hour of press time, or should I charge a flat rate for press time? but basically I need to factor in wear and tear on the press to cover maintence costs, I just dont know how much to build into the pricing

rjssigns

I have everything figured out for time and what not, I just dont know how much to charge per hour of press time, or should I charge a flat rate for press time? but basically I need to factor in wear and tear on the press to cover maintence costs, I just dont know how much to build into the pricing
For my shop that's covered in the square foot pricing. Prepress and postpress is charged at shop rate per hour.

CKCUSTOMKC

What factors do you know of so far?
I have all my factors pretty well covered except the actual cost of the wear and tear on the machine, and the upkeep costs, basically I dont know if I need to charge 20 an hour of press operation costs? or like a flat rate of $100 to simply use the press? Im kinda just looking for a number that will cover maintenance and general wear and tear costs, I dont know if that should be a flat fee or an hourly charge

CKCUSTOMKC

For my shop that's covered in the square foot pricing. Prepress and postpress is charged at shop rate per hour.
prepress and post press is covered in a different cost analysis for us, this is just focused on the press itself, I know there are electricity costs and other upkeep costs, but I dont know quite how to delineate that into a perjob cost

rjssigns

prepress and post press is covered in a different cost analysis for us, this is just focused on the press itself, I know there are electricity costs and other upkeep costs, but I dont know quite how to delineate that into a perjob cost
I would calculate the fine details such as electricity, print heads etc.. Use that data to either do a per hour or average yearly cost divided by estimated jobs per year.
For my TIG welding I got granular and was shocked that it cost 21 bucks an hour when welding. That covers electricity, tungstens, fillers, cups etc...
Not sure if any of that helps but it's a long boring process that needs to have every facet measured multiple times.
You want repeatability within a narrow margin of error.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
it's not a press. just saying
Are you familiar with the term depreciation? Figure that part out and cap expected costs. It is going to be different for everyone. Stop calling it a press too, not sure if I already said that

Last edited: