• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera for mac questions

ucmj22

Is anyone here running caldera on a mac? how do you like it. what options are worht it, and what should I stay away from? I was looking at the visual rip+ for my xc-540 with the cost view and easy media options. The easy media option is a bit pricey at 2 grand, is it worth it?

Rooster

I think caldera isn't a very popular rip around here and the mac version ever more rare.

I'd love to help you out, but I know nothing about it.

ucmj22

Ok, can anyone recommend a high quality rip that runs natively on a mac? I would really like it to be able to calculate accurately ink consumption per job, and the ability to control ink density w/o having to create a custom profile. I'm using versaworks right now.

Letterbox Mike

I may be mistaken, but I think Mike at Merritt Graphics runs Caldera, you may want to shoot him a PM to find out.

I know it's compatible for OSX but I don't have any first hand experience beyond that, but I've done a fair amount of research into it and if we ever switch RIPs from Onyx it will be to Caldera, it's quite a powerful program compared to anything else out there.

ucmj22

Thanks I'll do that. I kind of narrowed my options down to Caldera or ergo soft (heard really good things about ES) but caldera runs on mac, and since we are looking to get rid of our last PC I had to scratch off ergo soft.

johnnysigns

I'm not familiar w/ the ink tracking usage feature (although I'd think that would be easy to confirm online by checking the features list) - There are 5 color and contrast intensity presets you can choose from when sending files to the printer.

johnnysigns

I would not look to run Flexi personally. I never, ever had better than mediocre results in getting consistent color.

speedmedia

I just talked to a rep from Caldera and he told me if you trade in your old rip you can get the print/cut for like $950.00 Pretty good deal. I am downloading a demo for it right now to give it a try.

Thanks,
Kurt