• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera Linux - Profile issue

k_graham

New to wide format with HP 26500, we are trying Caldera and would also try Onyx if they ever get their demo to us.

Anyway we profiled vinyl without a hitch, except its the original 25 feet sent by HP and if this group is correct we won't be using more.

Bond as CMYK as well.

Now as a printer we tend to deal with Unisource so decided to try their house brand Select Source 56592A Poster Paper as suggested to us - I used a HP Satin Photo Paper as a reference set as a solvent paper in HP.as they don't seem to have profiles for Caldera.

Went through the profiling procedures in Caldera (called Caldera when the final output was too dark) Caldera said > HP designjets the light ink will have to be reduced by 50% to avoid over inking issues -they in fact logged on and did that.

Converted a GRACol test quality control pdf to tif and used it to see if people looked okay before saving icc profile - looked good when tif printed so saved profile, printed pdf and looks over inked and bad. In fact no matter how I change the ICC profile its as if it is not changed, I have tried GCR2 to GCR4 and from 350 max ink dropped it to 160 they print the same, as if they are picking up the original profile. I do have a call in to Caldera but so far no reply so any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken Graham

RIP developers will oftentimes publish profile creation training resources, such as whitepapers and video training tools. These, combined with extensive practice, will eventually get the practitioner where they want to go.

To get there faster, there are a number of consultants who train users in the field of color management implementation.
I can recommend Mike Adams of Correct Color in TX

k_graham

RIP developers will oftentimes publish profile creation training resources, such as whitepapers and video training tools. These, combined with extensive practice, will eventually get the practitioner where they want to go.

To get there faster, there are a number of consultants who train users in the field of color management implementation.
I can recommend Mike Adams of Correct Color in TX

Thanks but I think unless the consultant was specifically trained in Caldera they would have been in the same quandary, fortunately Caldera support got back to me and stated if the print wasn't matching the icc test sample printed just prior to saving probably something had bad data, that it was probably printing with no profile, and suggested resetting the printer driver, HowTo - Reset the printer driver and then to try printing.

This not only did the trick but the original Satin paper HP icc profile that looked too dark now looks good, I doubt I would have bothered with creating the profile had it looked like this to begin with. I will measure them both tomorrow but expect a reasonably low Delta E variation. The use of human photos in the tif and pdf file I linked to provides a good indication of output - but only when the saved version of icc profile is being used by the software.

It seems we simply had the misfortune of getting this software glitch between the 2nd and 3rd profile.

We had a similar issue with cutter software, unable to get it to contour cut a printed item using the software included with the cutter, inquired of tech support that had us feed it from the back and sure enough worked - checked a bit more and they determined its a bug, it won't contour cut printed items properly if fed from the front. We were not using Caldera for the printing as it had been printed on 12x18 sheets using a digital copier.

Thanks,

Ken