• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Can anyone help with a WIFI issue?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
A while ago i had to change routers as my old one dies. I use to use some basic one i got from my internet provider.

I got a linksys router. All seems fine, doesn't drop out. i can connect every device to it except my Barbiei SpectroPad as it works over WIFI (or cable)

Anyway i need to get it to work with my WIFI. the instructions are very vague.

For secure connections the instrument supports the WEP, WPA and WPA2 standard. If you choose a new WLan network the passphrase must be inserted. Please note: the instrument uses TCP/IP port 9760 to communicate over the network with your software. Make sure this port is not blocked by a firewall in your network.

It uses port 9760 to connect to the program.
I put the ports into my routers single port forwarding, but i cannot put in a IP address as i dont know the devices IP.

I've even tried WPA, WPA2, and even turned them off..

Anyone have any idea what i can do?
It use to work with my old router just fine.

Last edited:

kffernandez

hi!

the security it mentioned is just a plus. you will need it, but it's not necessary to connect to your device. it probably connects like any wireless device, with the usual issues. if the device is working properly, it should only take a few mins to configure. but will require someone who is experienced to configure it onsite, or hand hold you over the phone. a friend could also get remote access to your computer. i could help you out a bit. but you will need to at least get a hold of your device's manual. what's the full model number of your device?

kelly

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
hi!

the security it mentioned is just a plus. you will need it, but it's not necessary to connect to your device. it probably connects like any wireless device, with the usual issues. if the device is working properly, it should only take a few mins to configure. but will require someone who is experienced to configure it onsite, or hand hold you over the phone. a friend could also get remote access to your computer. i could help you out a bit. but you will need to at least get a hold of your device's manual. what's the full model number of your device?

kelly

I understand the basics of it.
The spectropad has it's own IP of 169.254.1.1 and as far as im aware i cannot change it.
my ip is 192.169.1.1
i tried port forwarding the port it uses (9760) but i need to forward it to a 192.169.1.x address which the spectropad isnt
The device is a barbieri SpectroPad
my router is a Linksys x3500

This is the spectropad manual:
http://otrs.caldera.com/otrs/public...tion=DownloadAttachment;ItemID=260;FileID=417

Last edited:

ikarasu

Alright.. so a 169 IP address means your device is not connected to the wifi at all. 169.xxx.xxx.xxx means it could not get an IP address, so it gave itself one.

You don't need to setup port forwarding (at least you shouldn't) because ports aren't usually blocked via local network, only to the outside network.. which your devices wont be using. However first problem is first... Get a real IP address, then if it doesnt work.. you can look into port forwarding.

Looking at your manual - It says to do this:

Select Wifi under Wifi configuration -
Click on Enable Wlan
Click pectroPad to WLan (You're probably in access point mode, which wont work unless your drop your computers wifi also, so goto wlan mode if your not in it).

[Edit] To add on to this - Access point mode makes your device the router. So your PC can connect to it in AP mode, but then your PC will lose internet. It's for people who don't want their PC / device connected to a network... and I believe this is what mode your device is in, since it has a 169 (Self assigned) IP address. So switching it should fix everything.

Select your wifi, enter the password, etc. A new screen will appear telling you your IP... it should have a 192.169.1.xx address... if it doesn't, you're probably not connected to wifi. That should fix all your problems.. if not, post a reply, I'll be back to check tomorrow sometime!

S Ettings - Barbieri Spectropad Series 2 Operating Manual [Page 31] If you need to follow instructions / pictures.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Alright.. so a 169 IP address means your device is not connected to the wifi at all. 169.xxx.xxx.xxx means it could not get an IP address, so it gave itself one.

You don't need to setup port forwarding (at least you shouldn't) because ports aren't usually blocked via local network, only to the outside network.. which your devices wont be using. However first problem is first... Get a real IP address, then if it doesnt work.. you can look into port forwarding.

Looking at your manual - It says to do this:

Select Wifi under Wifi configuration -
Click on Enable Wlan
Click pectroPad to WLan (You're probably in access point mode, which wont work unless your drop your computers wifi also, so goto wlan mode if your not in it).

[Edit] To add on to this - Access point mode makes your device the router. So your PC can connect to it in AP mode, but then your PC will lose internet. It's for people who don't want their PC / device connected to a network... and I believe this is what mode your device is in, since it has a 169 (Self assigned) IP address. So switching it should fix everything.

Select your wifi, enter the password, etc. A new screen will appear telling you your IP... it should have a 192.169.1.xx address... if it doesn't, you're probably not connected to wifi. That should fix all your problems.. if not, post a reply, I'll be back to check tomorrow sometime!

S Ettings - Barbieri Spectropad Series 2 Operating Manual [Page 31] If you need to follow instructions / pictures.

unfortunately that's not the issue.
So when i go wifi, asks if i want "spectropad to WLAN or PC to spectropad" so i choose spectropad to WLAN. I find my wifi name. enter password. and i get either "no suitable AP found" or sometimes it connects to the IP address on the spectropad (not the same as my router and it wont change to the router ip for some reason)
then it disconnects. and i cannot connect to the router.

ikarasu

Your router has 2.4 GHZ, and 5 GHZ signals - Are you connecting to the 2.4? Also, under your router settings... Should be under wireless, an option called wireless mode.. Is it set to B/G/N Mixed? Sometimes its set to N only, and if thats the case it'll deny all devices that arent N, and i'm presuming based on age the barbei is a G.