• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can Canon Arizona print on fabric with Roll option?

PrintQueen

we are looking into purchasing a Canon Arizona 135GT UV flatbed printer. We are likely going to add the roll to roll option, so we can open doors to some different options that our HP Latex can't currently do.
We are wondering if we would potentially be able to print onto fabric with the printer, and if that fabric would be washable with the UV ink. We currently offer printed table throws and fabric backdrops, but we are doing dye-sub through a vendor for those. We're curious if we would be able to insource those products instead. We're not currently able to print at the quality we want on the Latex roll printer., plus the flatbed would allow for larger rolls to print. Thinking more about it, I'm not sure if it would work or not, as we currently have to use ink collector platens when we're printing fabric on the latex machine.

anyone knowledgeable on the topic? thanks in advance!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
This machine is not really the way to go for fabric printing. We did some tests several years ago on a 360GT and you lose around 50% of the ink during the first wash.
Dye-sub is a far better choice in comparison... it should print clearer, more vibrant and will last longer.

ToTo

Professional Support
Printing UV inks onto fabric produces highly saturated vibrant colors. But in fact you can not control the polymerisation inside the fibres. And uncured UV ink is very hazardous.
Nobody should get in contact with.

Galaxycube

we are looking into purchasing a Canon Arizona 135GT UV flatbed printer. We are likely going to add the roll to roll option, so we can open doors to some different options that our HP Latex can't currently do.
We are wondering if we would potentially be able to print onto fabric with the printer, and if that fabric would be washable with the UV ink. We currently offer printed table throws and fabric backdrops, but we are doing dye-sub through a vendor for those. We're curious if we would be able to insource those products instead. We're not currently able to print at the quality we want on the Latex roll printer., plus the flatbed would allow for larger rolls to print. Thinking more about it, I'm not sure if it would work or not, as we currently have to use ink collector platens when we're printing fabric on the latex machine.

anyone knowledgeable on the topic? thanks in advance!
The fabric backdrops yes, tablecloths no... Especially on full colour. The ink tends to leave a nice ozone gassing off smell on frontlit fabric which doesn't work for horizontal applications i.e tablecloths.

But for backdrops or a tablecloth with a logo it works fine.

The ink is not machine washable. Use dye sub if you want this.

If you are using a 220gsm frontlit or a backlit you don't need a trough or plotting paper as the ink doesn't permiate all the way through.

darinmcd

Premium Subscriber
DON'T get the roll to roll option. It's expensive and very finicky not to mention it's incredibly slow, like watching paint dry. We had one but it got to the point we quit using it and it just sat - we got rid of it. I could go on and on about why it sucks so bad but... Plus, it's not what you want for printing fabric. Don't make the mistake

PrintQueen

DON'T get the roll to roll option. It's expensive and very finicky not to mention it's incredibly slow, like watching paint dry. We had one but it got to the point we quit using it and it just sat - we got rid of it. I could go on and on about why it sucks so bad but... Plus, it's not what you want for printing fabric. Don't make the mistake
Thanks - I saw the price of it and it's pretty outrageously priced new - we were able to find a used option for much cheaper - we would likely only be using it as a backup option if our other roll printer went down, or on materials that require white ink. Doesn't seem like I'll be trying fabric, given the feedback I've received. I will proceed with caution, though. I appreciate your honesty!