• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can HP R1000+ Print Borderless?

PrintQueen

wondering if anyone running an HP R1000 series can answer for me - does this machine print borderless onto substrates?

From my understanding, it does not because it doesn't have an ink collector.
If this is the case, how much of a gutter is needed? What is your workflow for these types of prints? Print on larger board and finish trim to size?

We are in the market for a hybrid flatbed, and I've had the HP R1000+ on my wishlist for some time- trying to gather valuable knowledge and info from current users.

Thanks for reading, and happy printing!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You can print borderless. If you overprint just 2-3mm it's not a problem.
Might be a different story if you are going to print only borderless jobs but here and there is business as usual.

PrintQueen

You can print borderless. If you overprint just 2-3mm it's not a problem.
Might be a different story if you are going to print only borderless jobs but here and there is business as usual.
ah, that's great news. I would hope that with a machine of its stature, that it should be able to handle this task. Thank you!

Brandon708

Yes you can print full bleed. You will risk printing on the belt though. I try to stay away from printing to the edges but its not a big deal.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yes you can print full bleed. You will risk printing on the belt though. I try to stay away from printing to the edges but its not a big deal.
It's not that big of a deal printing on the belt if you keep it as small as possible and like I said, not 24/7.
There's ways to counter this if someone wants to. You can make a sacrificial board with holes that still has the vacuum effect but you use that as your belt cover.
Or if you print thousands of something you can make a jig, that works fine.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
A little rant about the R1000. You can't print on signs smaller than 8"x8" for some reason.
It's to prevent you inserting such a small piece alone that doesn't have sufficient surface area for the vacuum.
Worst case that piece can lift up under the carriage and jam there and break something.
You can still print smaller ones you just have to use some boards around it and insert the size, position etc etc manually. Or if you have lets say 2x2" pieces put them right next to each other and so forth to make a larger surface.

Actually the printer can't even stop you from printing small pieces if you manually tell the size. You just can't insert a smaller size than that but you can still print it. It won't make any difference if you tell it its 40x40" even if it's only 4x4". Just as long as you know what the real size is and don't use image too large.

Last edited:

PrintQueen

It's to prevent you inserting such a small piece alone that doesn't have sufficient surface area for the vacuum.
Worst case that piece can lift up under the carriage and jam there and break something.
You can still print smaller ones you just have to use some boards around it and insert the size, position etc etc manually. Or if you have lets say 2x2" pieces put them right next to each other and so forth to make a larger surface.

Actually the printer can't even stop you from printing small pieces if you manually tell the size. You just can't insert a smaller size than that but you can still print it. It won't make any difference if you tell it its 40x40" even if it's only 4x4". Just as long as you know what the real size is and don't use image too large.

thanks for that info!! I mean, the reasoning behind it makes sense. Seems like it could be easy enough to make some type of jig for recurring scenarios like this, or just position multiple pieces accordingly, to make a larger surface. I don't think i can let that steer me away from this machine - i am too in love with it. We are deciding between the R1000+ and a Konica Minolta AccurioWide 160.. I'm rooting for the HP. My boss said that the KM boast that it can print borderless, and I told him that I was pretty sure that the HP would be able to do the same. I know it doesn't have an ink collector, but I'm sure a small amount of overspray onto the belt can't be the end of the world - it wouldn't be something we would do all the time- mainly just wondering about full 4'x8' boards, or 1-2 smaller precut runs.. it's not the end of the world if we have to print on a larger piece and finish trim either.

thanks for your replies! I really appreciate the info!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Just thinking out loud, couldn't you just tape off the belt around a given panel if you're aiming to do it borderless?
Yeah sure, it's just not that easy but maybe for one small board every once in a while.
You also need some good tape that can hold on to that mesh belt and withstand heat being put on it.

I just find it easier to simply print that 1-2mm to belt sometimes as it doesn't have an issue with that or those other ways if there's more boards.