• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I achieve true flat matte with Latex 315?

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
I had a client come in with a matte poster printed at Staples. I'm not sure what printer they used but it appears to be a basic matte poster stock. I'd like to emulate the no sheen look but I'm so new to Latex printing, I'm not sure if the inks will dry on a matte stock without any sheen. We've printed on adtex without any noticeable sheen but I don't know if that is because of how the ink soaks into the polyester weave. I know that with toner based printing, the fusing process creates an inevitable sheen from the toner, even when printing on a matte stock. I realize the ultimate answer is for me to just try it, but I'm hoping to get some kind of confirmation on latex ink behaviour before I buy a matte roll. Thanks!

zspace

Premium Subscriber
HP Latex inks don't have much gloss of their own. We print large black decals on matte vinyl and get a nice matte finish.

Precision

Lam it with 8510, it will be matte.

I am sure you'll get some sheen from an unlaminated print.

Hope this helps.

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
I had a client come in with a matte poster printed at Staples. I'm not sure what printer they used but it appears to be a basic matte poster stock. I'd like to emulate the no sheen look but I'm so new to Latex printing, I'm not sure if the inks will dry on a matte stock without any sheen. We've printed on adtex without any noticeable sheen but I don't know if that is because of how the ink soaks into the polyester weave. I know that with toner based printing, the fusing process creates an inevitable sheen from the toner, even when printing on a matte stock. I realize the ultimate answer is for me to just try it, but I'm hoping to get some kind of confirmation on latex ink behaviour before I buy a matte roll. Thanks!
In my experience when you print on matte you end up with a what I call satin. Its definitely a different sheen. The same applies when i print on gloss...it is clearly a different sheen anywhere the latex ink is laid down.

islandwide

Premium Subscriber
Lam it with 8510, it will be matte.

I am sure you'll get some sheen from an unlaminated print.

Hope this helps.
Does anyone have any idea what printer Staples would be using to get the flat look? The poster was clearly unlaminated.