• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I become a sign writer I got photoshop & the mentality

Cadmn

There is a sign wannabe that is trying to find a job and went into a job
service and asked if they could get a job. They said that they had a
job opening for painting rural roads lines. The next day they got a
call and the guy asked if they could start the job today. they went to
work and when they got there the boss was telling them that you need
to paint at least 2 miles. So she went out and started painting lines
on the road.
When she finished for the day they went back to the guy to see how
well they had done. The guy said good you painted 4 miles. The next
day they came to work and started painting and finished the day and
went to see how good they done. The guy said your ok but you only
painted 2 miles today do better tomorrow. The next day they came
to work and they finished the day and they went to talk to the guy
and he asked them why they only painted 1 mile today.they said
"Well everyday I keep getting farther and farther

away from the bucket."I bought my cutter off ebay & its bigger than your :D:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:"

Cadmn

lil ol me? no it was a blonde joke I thought fit & reworded as not to Offend any blondes. Igot banned on another board for being offensive to newbies that bought their cutter from ebay & know everything now. I was told I could not compete unless I got new equipment 24" cutter was old school real sign men got 44" If this is needed to be discussed further please pm me privately as I enjoy the board here I just hope those in the know that are members overthere also enjoy the excellence as I know I'm being slammed .

Flame

They're breaking rule #1. "Never encourage your competition to do better". I want all the local sign guys to keep old slow outdates equipment, to hike up their prices, and take 4 times as long to do stuff. That way I get all the business, which in turn rakes in the profits and makes me a lot of money. IMHO that's their first downfall. I won't comment on buying stuff on ebay.

Cadmn

LOL flame master they claim they produced a lot of work in the area because they went around to strip malls telling people they needed new signs there fore making them call their old sign guys so they are a real bennifit to the sign business. so I bet there has been a rash of new sign business for the guys on here that are around my parts. He admitted he could not scan in a usable vector & sign men didn'thave a need to be able to draw ?? sorry as I said please drop it here I like signs 101 & enjoy the banter with most you guys like doug OP Arlo, dave drane. etc. thats what I get for wandering around :) I know.

OldPaint

silly man cadmn....why did you go elsewhere we can abuse you better over here....hahahahahahahahaha
as for the know it all newbies....THERE HERE....but at least some have respect for us old guys....i posted about the PAINTING AT LODI and none of the know it all newbies take any interest in that......they feel its a waste of their time....and hell i can do that on my printer......why learn to paint

Cadmn

sign painters don't need to draw is what I was told & I picked sallousa<sp> to pick on & pester but NOw He wants to be excellent LOL But OP I have learned to enjoy the abuse I get here & it scares me to like the abuse? silly? more like Idiot? Or maybe I should whine to fred that I'm being picked on ? waaaa waaa waaa.

:signs101: ROCKS:U Rock:

sullosau

I think someone needs a big newbie hug COME HERE GENE COME HERE!!!!
What I think is so very disapointing is someone like Cadmn gets banned for speaking the truth, I personally think the newbie in question is a buttsmear.
Personally I think if it wasnt for the patience of the older (note I said older not OLD) us really interested newbies who want the business to grow, so maybe oneday its a skill I can learn and pass to my son. Although by the time he works the versa camm will be obselete to something that can be made from your cellphone. There just inst any respect to people who deserve it.
Me, Im looking forward to the day when I can post a picture of something Ive made and have people like well even Cadmn, Doug, OP, Fred and others give me critique, wether it be bad or good, but important thing is I shut up and listen. Sure I stir people and have some really odd posts but I want my small business to grow and I want the industry to survive, not to be driven down by know it all cos I bought it off ebay wankers" (sorry Fred).
That guy has the totally wrong attitude, I do hope that thru this post it can be seen where my attitude is.
Cheers for reading this really really boring post.

Steve
PS
Oldpaint, I did actually take great interest in your post about lodi, that is a skill I would love to have but would take me many years to achieve, maybe one day I will, heres hoping.

TC49010

:thumb: LOL!!!! Cadman as soon as I read the punch line I knew it was a blonde joke even with out the word Blonde in there!!

I got a chuckle out of it!! but then I am a blonde who enjoys the blonde jokes and dont take them personally!!
Trixie

tinysigner

Sometimes people NEED to be hit in the head with the truth. And freedom of speech still reigns in my household. Pussyfootin around politely may keep the police state happy, but does nothing for getting to the heart of the matter. If you can't stand the heat or the truth, stay out of my kitchen. And good greif, get a thicker skin and a sense of humor.
tinysigner AKA Cindi

I'm blonde, too.....love blonde jokes:cool1:

sullosau

Theres a tshirt going around that says "Im blonde... whats your excuse" from a major jeans retailer.
Theres so much you could do with a simple phrase like that one.
But I'll behave.. :)

Cadmn

yes I'm here been here along time. like since august 2005 and my website really doesn't matter I'm not in the web design business. I left it to all the kiddies with MS publisher. when the kiddies started giving 10,00 web site away for 100 bucks I lost interest & my wife quit designing. my site has the neccessary tools I use it for. I dont post pics of windows I didn't actually do now you can go back in your vortex an disappear.

robpruitt

Yea, I hear ya. I just agreed to do a website for $1000 and man i'm regretting it. I could do $10,000 worth of signs in half the time it takes to do one website but until I can get that much lined up I have to take what comes. I showed him this sample and re-designed his logo; did exactly what he wanted and now that i've done it all he's been inspired to change everything. I love doing signs but can't stand doing websites for other people. The site isn't the style I prefer but he had me take 3 pages of notes. :design:

http://www.trustedhorse.com/melange

mystysue

We had had 2 differant ladies in the last two weeks say they would love to come work with us if we are hiring.. The last one cracked me up.. she stated.. that she is great with graphics.. that she used print shop pro all the time to make birthday cards and such, and that everyone raves about them.... O vey..

Cadmn

mystysue said:
We had had 2 differant ladies in the last two weeks say they would love to come work with us if we are hiring.. The last one cracked me up.. she stated.. that she is great with graphics.. that she used print shop pro all the time to make birthday cards and such, and that everyone raves about them.... O vey..
Mystysue, So you know exactly where I'm coming from, when I was screenprinting back in 79 they used to call daily ao they could list me as contactifo for their unemployment & they were all great designers etc . Noe days around here they have degrees from the local degree mills & expect it to impress m. Not happening. I deslt with teachers with Masters degrees in art & computer science & watched them teach layout of trifolds totally backwards. & they even took them to the printers not listening & then came back to my office asking me to help fix them I being the kind teaching sort explained thst if they would listen I would explain one more time but patience is noy a strong suite if the student won't listen. we've seen many come on here with the I know I can do it my way get told to go do it then. its a waste of time to try to teach the ubteachable & we've had a few & op & doug usually train them well
:wine-smi:

mystysue

Yups i hear ya..
I admit to be new to the sign business.. and have alot to learn.. I dont have any degrees.. but ive painted for years.. and years.. have done wall murals.. (Im trying to talk the better half into letting me do one at the shop of a mainstreet theme with lots of store signs.. but he keeps telling me to weed weed weed .. rofl)...

My father was in advertising.. and was quite an artist. ( he had job offers from disney to come work for him) so i grew up with design all around me.. so some must of sunk in.. We are getting really good feedback from the customers on our work since we took over the store..

But i love reading the hints, tips and even the ribbing that the older members here hand out..

One of these days ill get brave and post some pictures of some of our signs.. and banners.. ..

Cadmn

Brave no need for that! Now back to weeding, cracking the whip, we'll try to keep ya inline for your hubby LOL