• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I changes these thing I hate about my Roland Printer/Plotter?

Andy D

I "inherited" a Roland VS-540 & it won't do basic stuff I took for granted on other printers, but
I'm wondering if there's a way to add them, such as:

- When I'm printing or plotting, especially long contour cuts, I like to jog the material out to
make sure it's running straight or to make sure the contour marks are lining up, but the Roland
only has one "jog" speed, creeping. Is there a way to change that?

- When I'm not sure I have enough material left to print a job, I like to run it out on the
printer or plotter and have it tell me how long it is. Is there a way to get my Roland to do that?

- When I run out material and back it up, if I have it on the take-up, it will take it up but doesn't
roll it back out when I back it up.

- Is there a way to have the plotter recognize a different type alignment marks for contour cutting?

I'm sure I will think of more... any help will be greatly appreciated.

artxaoc

1.You can't
2. Menu>sheet remain>set length. after that on main screen you will see changes
3. You need original take up system like this https://www.rolanddga.com/technologies/take-up-systems (It will take it up only after "setup sheet" mesurement and spring is lowered)
4. No, it does not. But you can make cropmarks by your self at corel or illustrator. Just draw the same like this printer do. https://st6.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/2811840427?profile=original this is for older version printers. At VSi some changes.

Last edited:

Andy D

2. Menu>sheet remain>set length. after that on main screen you will see changes

So you tell the printer how much material is left or the printer tell you how much material is left?
Edited to say: Thank you for #4, that will make my life so much easier!
I got it set up and wii try it soon.

Last edited:

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
So you tell the printer how much material is left or the printer tell you how much material is left?

You need to tell the printer how much media is on the roll first, then it will calculate usage and when you unload you can get an update from the machine. This is easiest when starting with a fresh roll.
You'll also need to update this each time you change a roll. You can get the machine to "PRINT MEMO" which will print stats onto the media just before you unload it so you can pop those numbers back in next time you load it up.
It's not fully automated, but better than guessing.

artxaoc

Of cource, at first you need to insert value how much is left of roll media. Its good for new rol. But when you are use allready used roll you can insert any value(much bigger of real length) for accuracy of measurment at any cases =) Usualy it's need for unpacked different types of media rolls. Canvas, vinyl, baner etc... Print the memo and you allways will know material balance. After couple years of work with sign graphics - this is unused function =) You will determine the remaind of material by eye.
And yes. I'm in Russia.