• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I get some assistance from experienced people?

Stacey K

I like making signs
If you want to be a wrapper, I would strongly suggest watching some videos or take a week-long course. It's certainly NOT as easy as it looks. I've been doing partial wraps for a couple years and without proper training I am doubtful I'll ever get any further than "partial" wrapper. I use Arlon SLX with the corresponding gloss laminate for wraps.

Signarama Jockey

Is my Orajet 3551 and Oraguard good for wrapping?
Orajet 3551 might not be your best option for wrapping cars for a couple of reasons. The first is that is is a calendared vinyl. Calendared vinyl will shrink over time, and this will cause all sorts of problems on the surface that you wrapped. The second reason is that the adhesive is permanent, which is not a deal breaker in and of itself, but it is a good idea to look forward five or six years when your customer needs an update, or wants you to remove the wrap you put on. Fellers says that this material is "Great for vehicle graphics and wraps with simple to moderate curves", so I'm guessing they are picturing a van or a transit or decals on the tailgate of a truck.

The Oraguard I can't say without knowing which one you have.

There are a lot of cast vinyls out there, and all of the brands have different specific formulas that all have their own quirks. That is a conversation in and of itself. I recommend 3M, but everyone has their favorites.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Fair, I could do one detailed question, but for the record.
Is my Orajet 3551 and Oraguard good for wrapping?

No, I wouldn't use 3551, 3591, 3651 or most Orajet films for wrapping, or much else to be honest. I find they all shrink like crazy even when used on flat surfaces.

You'll want to explore cast wrap combos.

Every manufacturer will have a couple of offerings, and they will all be at the top end of their product line.

Here are the combos we use:
Partial wraps / shape cut vehicle decals: 3M IJ180cv3 (air-egress cast vinyl) + 3M 8418G (cast overlaminate)
Full wraps: Avery 1105 EZ RS (air-egress cast vinyl) + Avery DOL 1360 (cast overlaminate)

If you're wanting to use Oracal, I would look into:
3951RA (air-egress cast vinyl)
3751RA (air-egress cast vinyl, lower initial tack)
Oraguard 290 laminate

I believe they have a few "Pro-slide" versions now as well, but I can't say I've played around with those.

Other brands out there include Hexis, Arlo, Metamark, General Formulations to name a few. All slightly less common than the "big 3" (3M, Avery, Oracal) but are definitely gaining popularity as the big manufacturers get more and more greedy with their pricing.

Hope that helps.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Other brands out there include Hexis, Arlo, Metamark, General Formulations to name a few. All slightly less common than the "big 3" (3M, Avery, Oracal) but are definitely gaining popularity as the big manufacturers get more and more greedy with their pricing.

Hope that helps.
The price spread between the big names and small names has grown pretty large over the past 2-3 years. It definitely makes you start reconsidering the good "off brands" more than you would in the past.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
The price spread between the big names and small names has grown pretty large over the past 2-3 years. It definitely makes you start reconsidering the good "off brands" more than you would in the past.
For sure. I just cringe when we have to pay top dollar for 3M. You're not getting the same value you used to from the "best" manufacturer(s). 3M's QC department must be run by blind robots.

I just realized I wrote Arlo (my son's name) instead of Arlon. Ha. I'm not fixing it either.