• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I overlay printed graphics on Matte Wrap Black vinyl

highrolling24

Might be a stupid question but it seemed like before on small jobs when I put stuff on matte laminate it just didnt seem to stick as good but it seemed like it worked ok, I never had problems but I have a pretty big trailer to wrap and want to do it in a matte black (color change) and then put graphics on top because the graphics are gloss. I cant have this fail or my ass is grass.
Any recommendations appreciated.

danno

We had an issue with Avery 1105sc/1360 sticking to 3M 2080-m12. We overlayed a race car on a Friday. When we came in on Monday, the decals were on the ground or pealing off the car. We haven't had an issue since we switched to ij180cv3-10/85xx laminate.

somcalmetim

We had an issue with Avery 1105sc/1360 sticking to 3M 2080-m12. We overlayed a race car on a Friday. When we came in on Monday, the decals were on the ground or pealing off the car. We haven't had an issue since we switched to ij180cv3-10/85xx laminate.
I never use Avery after a bad experience but I doubt either 3M or Avery would recommend or stand behind mixing brands.
Different vinyls react to heat differently...even if they are the same brand you can run into problems if the print/lam are not designed to go together...

ToneCustomSigns

Here is a 3M 2080 matte black wrap on this trailer. I used Arlon 4500GLX w/ 3270 gloss laminate for the printed logo.
I did this in 2020 and the wrap and graphics are still holding up.
Savage trailer.jpg

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
We've add issues with 3M 680 Reflective vinyl sticking to matte black but don't typically have an issue with IJ180cv3 sticking to matte black.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We've add issues with 3M 680 Reflective vinyl sticking to matte black but don't typically have an issue with IJ180cv3 sticking to matte black.
what happens when you stick reflective vinyl to matte? every reflective product ive ever had is super sticky and sticks to everything.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
matte black vinyl is different from matte laminate. you shouldn't have a problem going over the top with decals if you are putting them on matte vinyl.

ikarasu

We've done it both ways.

But we stick with 3m - matte black wrap with diecut gloss black letters works.... gives a nice subtle look as pelplemdrive by. The back had some printed 180 as well and it didn't fall off.

I'd stick to Avery, or 3m for both vinyls, but shouldn't be an issue.