• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I shake cartridges before turning on printer?

Saturn

Aging Member
Can I remove and shake the white ink cartridge before I turn on my S80600? Or is it good practice to only remove them when the machine is going?

It would be nice (I would think) to shake the cartridge just before it does it's automatic circulate, immediately after powering on. I have no chance to shake it beforehand otherwise.

Saturn

Aging Member
I shake it every day that I print, 5-7 days a week, but I don't leave my printer on 24/7 like Epson wants me to. Wondering if I can safely remove cartridges when the printer is off/off, to shake right before turning on for the day.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I shake it every day that I print, 5-7 days a week, but I don't leave my printer on 24/7 like Epson wants me to. Wondering if I can safely remove cartridges when the printer is off/off, to shake right before turning on for the day.
Do you actually turn it off? Leave It on, it does it's manual random cleaning. Periodically. Shake the white ink when you leave. Don't turn it off!

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would definitely NOT turn these printers off and leave them off. We keep our printers on 24/7/365 and they do their periodic cleanings when they are supposed to. We do not have any head issues out of ours this way. Leaving them off leads to more manual maintenance recovering nozzles and more cleaning cycles before you can print. We only shaked our white ink like one a week when we had the 10-color, we only have the 60600 series printers now.

Tatonka

Leave the epson on at all times. It doesn't have a sub power like other printers, so it won't turn itself back on to do a circulation.

unclebun

You have to leave Epsons on all the time. Not only do they do periodic cleanings, they also do periodic ink cycling to prevent sludging in the lines and dampers.

DeadDoc

Even the HPs "require" you to leave it on 24/7. I get a warning when I turn it off to leave it off for no more than 48 hours. Sleep mode allows it to circulate ink around when not in use. I'll take this tradeoff instead of needing to do color bars to keep things flowing. I do however, not sure if this is an option for Epsons, take out the white heads when not in use BUT burn at least some white every 2 weeks to keep it running smoothly.

BVG

Hmmm curious. When you let your S80600's go to "sleep" does it actually go into a full sleep mode? Our just turns off the display after 15 minutes, but the blue light stays on solid and the fan continues to spin and whine forever.

Tatonka

Hmmm curious. When you let your S80600's go to "sleep" does it actually go into a full sleep mode? Our just turns off the display after 15 minutes, but the blue light stays on solid and the fan continues to spin and whine forever.
The fan by the circuit boards make a little bit of noise just like a computer does but it's not noticeable.

I've had mine idle for weeks at a time with no issues when I start printing again. It does an excellent job of circulating the ink.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member

I have a fix for the fan issue... been working perfectly for 4 years. Zero noise when printer is asleep. If you're down this way at any point let me know and you can pop in for a visit.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The fan by the circuit boards make a little bit of noise just like a computer does but it's not noticeable.

I've had mine idle for weeks at a time with no issues when I start printing again. It does an excellent job of circulating the ink.

The original fan selection is a ridiculous choice by Epson. Twin 25mm fans at 10,000rpm. I've moved to 40mm fans which push just as much air at only 4500rpm and are practically 0dB at idle. I custom designed a 40mm to 25mm adapter and 3D printed it with resin and installed in around 15 mins.