• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can Onyx save frequently used color corrections?

Lindquist

I have been trying to search the Onyx user manuals to find a solution to this problem, but the user manual is difficult to understand.

I have some customers that have Pantone colors that need to be adjusted in Onyx every time I print them. In some cases, the same 4 colors need to be changed multiple times a day for the correct color to be printed. I have not figured out exactly why, but Onyx seems to have a built in feature that changes the CMYK values of the PDFs I import. So, the Pantone/CMYK colors we apply in Illustrator are not what Onyx prints - unless I override them with the Color Correction tool.

It's getting tiring to do this repeatedly, so one of my operators asked if there was not a way to save a group of color corrections. It seems like there might be, but Onyx is not saving my new "filters" and letting me apply them to other jobs.

Does anyone have any advice for how to do this? Can Onyx save groups of color corrections to use on different jobs (or different printers? I have 4 printers, 2 different models).

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Flexi has a feature called, "Color Mapping" that does exactly this and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Onyx has a similar feature. I don't have any experience with Onyx with this particular feature but it might point you in the right direction. RIPs often use the same terms to describe features.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I have not figured out exactly why, but Onyx seems to have a built in feature that changes the CMYK values of the PDFs I import. So, the Pantone/CMYK colors we apply in Illustrator are not what Onyx prints - unless I override them with the Color Correction tool
The way this reads is you're changing a named Pantone color to CMYK values. If so, that's unnecessary and counter productive. The RIP expects the original Pantone name to be present in the file and named exactly as original.

The first step in checking the Onyx feature of Named Color Replacement is printing the their cool grays to compare against the swatch book. That will reveal any color balance bias. If the grays are not within reason, a recalibration step is in order for the whole process to accurate and easy.

Here's a YouTube video about the Onyx feature...

Lindquist

The way this reads is you're changing a named Pantone color to CMYK values. If so, that's unnecessary and counter productive. The RIP expects the original Pantone name to be present in the file and named exactly as original.

We are definitely not changing Pantone colors to CMYK. I was mostly just saying that the color I send is not the color I get. If I send (fake color for example) Pantone 12345 C to Onyx, the CMYK value it assigns by default does not match the Pantone Color Bridge. Frequently, the solution to my color matching problem is just to adjust the CMYK value to what the Color Bridge says it should be.

The same thing happens with CMYK values. Onyx reads the colors and changes them to something else entirely, and that is frequently not what I want.

But that's not really the problem I was trying to solve. Though, I guess it would work if I can just apply the CMYK value in my Illustrator files instead of the Pantone color (since the Pantone color absolutely does not print the way they want - i.e., they really don't want the Pantone color, they just say they do). But that doesn't work either.

save the correction as a filter. You can add it to a quickset or import it file by file.

This sounds like the solution I was looking for - and it's the feature I found in the Onyx documentation. I just don't understand how it works. Every time I make a new filter, it doesn't save it for future use. It just names the group of color corrections for that one file, and then when I try on another file the option no longer exists.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
The same thing happens with CMYK values. Onyx reads the colors and changes them to something else entirely, and that is frequently not what I want
You're missing some printing facts along with some color management basics is all.

The CMYK values provided by Pantone are obsolete and they only represented the values which Pantone used with their actual press anyway. You color printer is very, very different than theirs and likely capable of even more color gamut.

Have you tried printing Pantone grays on your printer yet? Do the prints show a color bias. Again, that's the starting point.

ikarasu

We are definitely not changing Pantone colors to CMYK. I was mostly just saying that the color I send is not the color I get. If I send (fake color for example) Pantone 12345 C to Onyx, the CMYK value it assigns by default does not match the Pantone Color Bridge. Frequently, the solution to my color matching problem is just to adjust the CMYK value to what the Color Bridge says it should be.

The same thing happens with CMYK values. Onyx reads the colors and changes them to something else entirely, and that is frequently not what I want.

But that's not really the problem I was trying to solve. Though, I guess it would work if I can just apply the CMYK value in my Illustrator files instead of the Pantone color (since the Pantone color absolutely does not print the way they want - i.e., they really don't want the Pantone color, they just say they do). But that doesn't work either.

This sounds like the solution I was looking for - and it's the feature I found in the Onyx documentation. I just don't understand how it works. Every time I make a new filter, it doesn't save it for future use. It just names the group of color corrections for that one file, and then when I try on another file the option no longer exists.
If you want to use your.illustrator CMYK values.... In your quick settings under color profile turn it to off, and it won't change anything.

If you want to change it so "Pantone blah blah" always changes to a CMYK value you specify ... it's possible, search my posts for print mode defined colors, it has a walkthrough on how to do it so you set it up and it'll always change it based on your print mode.

JBurton

Signtologist
What version of Onyx? I could tell ya on 10-18, but not sure on Thrive or whatever's newer.
save the correction as a filter. You can add it to a quickset or import it file by file.
Definitely set up a quick set, otherwise you're hitting about 10 different keys/clicks to go to the color tab, color corrections, filter, import filter, select filter, ok, ok, select filter again, hit ok on dialogue box confirming selection of filter. I've done this too many times if you can't tell.

marunr

This is what you need to do. It's a long (too long) video but hopefully you can skip through some of it. You can then set your Pantone color to the cmyk formula you want and as long as you name it the same way every time in your design file it will work.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I just saw that since version 21 you have a new option to permanently replace output values - seems to be a faster way to basically achieve what Ikarasu described with print mode defined colors.

See here................: