• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can we stop the absolutely DUMB practice of...

shoresigns

Don't you have tap and go terminals there?
The US was basically the last country to get on board with chipped cards, and they've still barely started to implement them. Even in major urban areas you'll still be signing the bill at many restaurants and handwriting the amount you want to tip the server.

bannertime

I called my merchant to see if I could get rid of the signature block on my counter terminal. They said "no, the banks the one that is requesting it." Even after asking what's the point if the card vendors have said it's pointless, and the whole covid stuff, said they couldn't do it unless the order is under $25. Well, I don't get those, so I guess I'm going to push contact-less payments, but most our gov and corporate cards don't have the "Pay Wave" or they can't put it on their phone.

I run a majority of my cards over the phone and online and those don't have signatures, so why does it need one in person. The whole transaction is video recorded and EMV chips only. Should be safer than online payments anyway!

Makes no sense to me.

C

ColoPrinthead

I like the digital signature pads that make my signature look like anything but it.

Bly

The US was basically the last country to get on board with chipped cards, and they've still barely started to implement them. Even in major urban areas you'll still be signing the bill at many restaurants and handwriting the amount you want to tip the server.

That's crazy. Lots of places here are card only and no PIN required either by card or phone, let alone signature.

Andy D

I called my merchant to see if I could get rid of the signature block on my counter terminal. They said "no, the banks the one that is requesting it." Even after asking what's the point if the card vendors have said it's pointless, and the whole covid stuff, said they couldn't do it unless the order is under $25. Well, I don't get those, so I guess I'm going to push contact-less payments, but most our gov and corporate cards don't have the "Pay Wave" or they can't put it on their phone.

I run a majority of my cards over the phone and online and those don't have signatures, so why does it need one in person. The whole transaction is video recorded and EMV chips only. Should be safer than online payments anyway!

Makes no sense to me.

Couldn't you or your employee just write "none" to bypass the whole signature BS? Or would that be considered fraud?

bannertime

Couldn't you or your employee just write "none" to bypass the whole signature BS? Or would that be considered fraud?

I really don't know. We've never had receipts requested. We've only been accused of fraud once, and that guy failed to mention that he spent a week in Vegas and go his information stolen there. Before we had authorize.net we manually entered payments into our terminal and wrote "phone order" in the signature block. So no signatures might be fine, but with a PIA customer it could cause issues I guess. None that they'd be able to win based solely off no signature.

• Agree
Reactions: bob

Ldireprophil

Iv’e not had a customer sign a credit/debit card receipt “merchant’s copy” in over 20 years. Not a single issue, waste of time.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Mike Patterson next month "Hmm, I wonder why my orders have dropped from my older customers?"

Well you dont know our business. A little background.
1. We wrap for a large internet company and are currently on unit 94 since this covid crap all started. We are not accepting new clients right now.
2. We locked the doors and didn't let clients enter our shop.
3. We cleaned like mofo's constantly. Any vehicles we wrapped were sanitized, plus the vehicles sat not touched in a storage lot for 7 days after we were done. Precautions were made.
4. We are a small shop with 4 of us in the building. My wife, daughter, helper (that lives in one of my rent houses) , and myself. None of use were running all over town spreading this crap.
5. Any outside work I did, I didnt have interaction with anyone.

Yeah, are you bragging to your customers that you have all been sick while open? Negligence galore over there from the sounds of it.

Yes my clients knew we were sick. I sent out emails. But if we would have shut completely down a lot of customers would not have internet to work from home.

Do y'all wet your pants over the flu every year. I do realize at first no one knew the risks. Hell it could have been the next black death. But now we have good data and meds that help.
I'll leave it in GOD's hands as for me and my family.

I'll live my life how I see fit and you can do the same.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Ohhh and I guess I should have pointed out that my original post was stated in humor.
Next time I'll make sure and inform everyone that I am joking.

WildWestDesigns

Do y'all wet your pants over the flu every year. I do realize at first no one knew the risks. Hell it could have been the next black death. But now we have good data and meds that help.

With the flu, it helps that there are vaccines out there (although it is guesswork as to which strain will be the most prevalent that year). Of which, for this there are none. Not now that I am aware of anyway and some say it's possible that there won't be. Data is still revolving, in some instances quite contradictory, especially if it's being "weaponized" for politics.

Information is still revolving. It was originally thought that toddlers were at worse asymptomatic, not really the case now.

Contact with surfaces were thought to be a high impact vector, I'm reading reports that that has been downgraded somewhat (don't want to downgrade it too much as I'm sure that would impact some people's habits that may affect them when they are in contact with high vector areas).

I think it's different when death has happened to a neighbor that you knew or to the spouse of a friend. That puts things into a different context.

Shoot, there are far worse things out there that we don't worry about that have far worse fatality rates, but the fear factor of spreading is different. Some are nonexistent in the traditional sense.

Ohhh and I guess I should have pointed out that my original post was stated in humor.

With text based communication, inflection is the 1st casualty.

Andy D

Mike, I didn't mean to insult you, it sounds like you have gone over and above to protect your customers.

Andy D

I read last night that the deaths in America is approaching 100,000 people, close to
how many Americans died in Vietnam and Korea combined... in what, 3 months?
And the numbers of cases reported in most areas of America are still climbing.