• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can white ink be used as opaque last pass? (Windshield stickers)

tedbragg

Our XR-640 has white ink but never used it. We’ve been doing a crap ton of windshield stickers — which requires a LOT of steps.
1. Print in reverse on clear
2. Laminate with white vinyl
3. Xacto Cut and peel out registration marks
4. Cut stickers from sheet, and pray it hasn’t stretched
Can white ink be printed as a last pass? Eliminate that expensive white vinyl lam step?

Jester

Slow is Fast
With Roland eco-sol inks (VG2) we've found that it can take several passes of white on top to get a sufficiently opaque layer.

dale911

President
Don’t expect it to be fully opaque. It doesn’t need to be.once you get a decent layer on there and put it on somethjng, it will look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karst41

A couple quick thoughts on this.

First order business. I made parking decals going through this bull 'ish.
Gerber has a 220 or 225 Transparent white. So print to the clear, Laminate
to the Trans White (with crop Marks or Contour cut marks) DONE!

I am in Atlanta. Reece Supply sells Gerber. Trans white is a rare bird so I know
not from 3m.

HOWEVER Gregory1.com probably has it. They were a 3m converter years abo and their Trendfilm is,,,,,, I aint saying nuthin! so there.

When making props for television or Still Shot advertising; the camera never lies.
With trap colors opaquing is the order of the day and you have 2 factors that can
net a $2100 print in the trash.

A dense white is yes and no. the first coat down is Grey, the last coat has to be white or your "PMS" Formula just hit the trash.

If a Direct right reading Print, You lay down a Light Grey for opaquing and then, lay down the White. Then Your Critical Match Color. If you are reverse printing (wrong reading)
it is opposite . If the Final Color is a Metallic. that serves to opague.

Cheers

PS if the job is a pain in the arse, just sub it out to Gregory1. They will wholesale it to you
and you mark it up accordingly. IMPO they are the Best in the Good Ol USA to outsource to.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Often times to get a fully opaque layer, printers will lay White/Black/White. Never tried it on your machine, but you might test that as well.