• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you do cut through with kiss cut knife?

The reason I ask this is, because I started a job recently and the last operator misplaced the graphtec 8600 cut through blade and all I have is the kiss cut blade. Can I use the kiss cut to do through cuts somehow? Maybe by adjusting pressure or something else? Or do I have to purchase the cut through blade and holder? Thanks in advance!

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
You can leave the blade holder in position 3 (perf cut channel) and adjust your kiss cut condition to only kiss cut, and then perf cut with another condition. Not recommended but I have done it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Mimaki performs the perf cut just like this; with only one blade/holder. It does cut up the cut strip but if you're desperate I'm sure it's fine for a little while. Cut strips are also cheap and easy to replace at the end of the day so go for it.

Joe House

It would depend on the vinyl/lam combo that you're trying to cut. Most of the time I train customers to just use the CB09 blade for both kiss cut and perf cut. You can do both either over the cut strip or the pounce channel.

ikarasu

Huh? There's a special cut through blade?....

I just use cb09 or cb15 in the other position to cut over the channel.

I have a second/third blade holder bought off eBay for $10(they have a lot of wiggle, I don't recommend them for kiss cuts, but they work perfectly for perf) with a cb09 blade setup for no overlam. And second setup for with overlam... Less fidgeting with the blade depth that way and it's worked perfectly. I use the cheap $1 eBay blades for perf cutting and get good smooth results, everytime I switch my overlam roll I just pop in a new blade.

Val47

Reading through this (twice), I feel like I missed something.. what are you cutting exactly? apologies if I missed it, just trying to follow, but confused.

PrintQueen

we use the graphtec fc8600 as well. We have a 45 degree blade and a 60 degree blade. Both blades can interchange for kiss cutting or through cutting, as long as you are changing the location where your blade is seated - position 1 vs position 3. If you try to cut through cut on position 1, you will eat up your teflon strip and need to replace it. but, it you change your blade housing to the through cut position (position 3), you should be able to use either the 45 degree or 60 degree blades. From my understanding, the differences in those two blades are mainly for the thickness of the materials, not so much the kiss vs through cut positions. We use the blue blade holder (we only have this one) - CB09UB for both the CB09UA 45 and 60 degree blades. (We use the 45 degree blades for most cutting - stickers, calendered/cast adhesive, and we use the 60 degree blade for cutting our thicker laminated floor graphics.) Hope this info helps! :D

we use the graphtec fc8600 as well. We have a 45 degree blade and a 60 degree blade. Both blades can interchange for kiss cutting or through cutting, as long as you are changing the location where your blade is seated - position 1 vs position 3. If you try to cut through cut on position 1, you will eat up your teflon strip and need to replace it. but, it you change your blade housing to the through cut position (position 3), you should be able to use either the 45 degree or 60 degree blades. From my understanding, the differences in those two blades are mainly for the thickness of the materials, not so much the kiss vs through cut positions. We use the blue blade holder (we only have this one) - CB09UB for both the CB09UA 45 and 60 degree blades. (We use the 45 degree blades for most cutting - stickers, calendered/cast adhesive, and we use the 60 degree blade for cutting our thicker laminated floor graphics.) Hope this info helps! :D
Yes!!! This helps alot. Greatly appreciated. I knew someone out there was doin' it! Thanks again PrintQueen

PrintQueen

Yes!!! This helps alot. Greatly appreciated. I knew someone out there was doin' it! Thanks again PrintQueen

happy I could help!! I definitely have made the mistake of accidentally cutting through cut setting on the kiss cut blade location #1, and I've had to replace my teflon strip after, so i recommend always double checking that blade location before hitting the cut now button (learn from my mistakes! ;) )

So what would be the reason it is not cutting through? Could it be an old worn out blade? I have put the CB09UA 45 degree blade in the tool #3 spot forward, but adjusting the blade down with force settings does not cut through the media properly. It is if the media bends as it is being cut. Is it possible this media is too flimsy and not rigid enough to do a cut through? If so, I can understand but just wanted to through the idea out there in case others have had the same problem.