• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you install only 4 carts in an 8 cart Mutoh VJ 1628TD?

stamfordsignguy

As the title states, I'm wondering If I would be able to just use 4 carts on one side of the machine? There are 4 on each side. I bought this for almost nothing and finally found someone who carrys ink for it. It's eco solvent and even though its originally a fabric plotter, I was told the machine will recognize the ink smart card and wont reject it. Not many people/companies, including Mutoh themselves know anything about the 1628TD since it's obsolete. Anyone here familiar with this machine? I'd hate to junk it. It's in such great shape..Barely a scratch on it.

Uniscreen

Im very familiar with these machines, they are purpose built for printing fabric and dont have any pre, platen or after heaters installed. I have never heard of one being converted to eco-solvent and the lack of heaters would make this tricky. The machine has 2 print heads and are inline not staggered, but effectively only uses one head unless you are printing with the large dot. Generally these machines are flashed/unlocked at the factory to accept bulk inks either sublimation or pigment and dont need smart chips to operate.

stamfordsignguy

Thank you so much for your reply! I wanted to used sublimation ink but couldn't find carts that had them with chips. So I can just use a refillable cart with sublimation ink in it?

Uniscreen

Thank you so much for your reply! I wanted to used sublimation ink but couldn't find carts that had them with chips. So I can just use a refillable cart with sublimation ink in it?
Correct refillable carts with no chip, just keep your ink levels topped up. good luck

netsol

Premium Subscriber
what i normally do, is go to ebay, choose one or two of the big "power sellers" for that type of item and choose "ask seller a question". they are normally very helpful.

just one word of warning. make your question a request to have the item you need LISTED ON EBAY.
some of the ebay moderators, or whatever you call them take their duties VERY seriously.

i have been BANNED FOR LIFE 3 times, over the last 25 years