• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Canon 1650 - (K) print head nozzle blocked

Noob Printer

One of our K print heads are blocked like around 40% of it (attached a nozzle test print) the printed has printed around 20k m2 of material, we have spoken with Canon and the current assessment is to replace the print head, but we are over the AMC parameters so its gonna ..... do you'll have any suggestion as to how to resolve the blockage.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 12.39.14 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 12.39.14 PM (1).jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 282
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 12.39.14 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 12.39.14 PM.jpeg
    740.8 KB · Views: 163
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 12.38.19 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-30 at 12.38.19 PM.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 151

victor bogdanov

Your test print doesn't look too bad, 2 weeks ago I had problems with a magenta head, test print looked much worse than yours.

Tech applied the Methyl Benzoate cleaning solution to the foam pad and kept it on the bad head for about 5 minutes. The head went from 15 missing nozzles to 5 and print quality is prefect now.

They will most likely do this step before replacing a head, this will help with clogs but not with electrical problems. I'm at about 80k m2 and first time I had a head issue

Noob Printer

Your test print doesn't look too bad, 2 weeks ago I had problems with a magenta head, test print looked much worse than yours.

Tech applied the Methyl Benzoate cleaning solution to the foam pad and kept it on the bad head for about 5 minutes. The head went from 15 missing nozzles to 5 and print quality is prefect now.

They will most likely do this step before replacing a head, this will help with clogs but not with electrical problems. I'm at about 80k m2 and first time I had a head issue
thx a million for this suggestion, the tech didnt suggest this to us at all...the current situation is a replacement of the printhead....once again thx a lot

Caren Hines

I use the (UV Flush) they tell us to use.
Black printheads are the worse to keep clean also.
I have at all times one line clogged. The tech told me not to worry about it but, if a bunch together
gets clogged then you have a problem. I don't know what the (Methyl Benzoate) cleaning solution is but if it works I would like to check it out too! If that's not the same?
I have a (Canon OCE 1280 Xt)
But I keep the UV Flush on hand at all times it's what I use to clean the heads weekly.
There's also something in their manual saying if it's real bad you can use Isopropyl alcohol.
Starting on page 171
Good luck!

Noob Printer

the tex

the tech even told us that we can not soak the print head in Methyl Benzoate ....and this print head was not like other UV machines were we could...

Noob Printer

I use the (UV Flush) they tell us to use.
Black printheads are the worse to keep clean also.
I have at all times one line clogged. The tech told me not to worry about it but, if a bunch together
gets clogged then you have a problem. I don't know what the (Methyl Benzoate) cleaning solution is but if it works I would like to check it out too! If that's not the same?
I have a (Canon OCE 1280 Xt)
But I keep the UV Flush on hand at all times it's what I use to clean the heads weekly.
There's also something in their manual saying if it's real bad you can use Isopropyl alcohol.
Starting on page 171
Good luck!

The tech told us not to use IPA to clean this printhead as its different from other printheads

victor bogdanov

the tex

the tech even told us that we can not soak the print head in Methyl Benzoate ....and this print head was not like other UV machines were we could...

The techs have a magnetic printhead cleaning tool (same one we have that the foam bad goes on but their is magnetic) so they don't have to hold it for 5 minutes while doing the methyl benzoate soak.

Step 1 in the tech manual for print head issue is to run a powerful flush, if that doesn't help, methyl benzoate soak if that doesn't help replace head

Noob Printer

Okay the print head has been changed, the techs were not able to clear the nozzles ....but even after this we are getting banding .... even after changing the step value ..increasing the mode ( robust mode/improved print strategy) ...
all this is happening in the glossy production mode... we do not use the slower modes as it wouldn't work out financially based on the cost we charge out customers and the printer can print at 1800 sqft/hr but we just want 30% of the max ....this is happening only on smooth media (non woven & vinyl) we have tried different banded media but still the same ( 3M, Avery ...)
the banding is white line from one side and then it turns to a black line ...
note majority of our work happens on textured media (ie textured Non woven, fabric back wallcovering {similar media that dreamscape uses} 20 oz. TYPE II) and on those media we do not see banding as the texture is that much ( that is what we assume )

Last edited:

Noob Printer

we have done all the maintenance, auto, manual, periodic... check the buffer plate... checked the roller in the tray if it is getting skewed, checked the rewinder...pinch roller have been checked... all okay...
also to not when we print on smooth media the rewinder doesnt roll the media straight,, but when we print on textured media it rolls it perfectly

victor bogdanov

I think in order to print at fast speed like gloss production you will need to have all printheads near perfect. couple of missing nozzles will show up at that speed as there just is not enough time/passes to compensate.

I know with the missing nozzles I have I can't run gloss production mode on some colors, HQ prints perfectly.

If you look at the first pass the head makes you will probably see the missing nozzles in that first pass, then the missing areas get filled in/compensated on following passes but printing in 3 pass mode there just aren't enough masses to compensate.

How many nozzles are you missing in each head? (tech can look this up)

Noob Printer

I think in order to print at fast speed like gloss production you will need to have all printheads near perfect. couple of missing nozzles will show up at that speed as there just is not enough time/passes to compensate.

I know with the missing nozzles I have I can't run gloss production mode on some colors, HQ prints perfectly.

If you look at the first pass the head makes you will probably see the missing nozzles in that first pass, then the missing areas get filled in/compensated on following passes but printing in 3 pass mode there just aren't enough masses to compensate.

How many nozzles are you missing in each head? (tech can look this up)
right now all the nozzles are firing as per the nozzle test

victor bogdanov

right now all the nozzles are firing as per the nozzle test
all the test shows is that you can get good print quality in HQ mode and superior mode. You can have missing nozzles and the printer will compensate in the HQ and superior mode that the nozzle test prints. I have up to 5 nozzles missing per head and the test shows perfect quality but hose missing nozzles do show up in faster print modes

How many nozzles each head is missing can be looked up by the tech