• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon Colorado 1650 FEEDBACK

HulkSmash

anyone have feedback on their experience with this printer?
Trying to justify the cost of it being 3x our latex machines. Besides ink and speed is it worth it?

victor bogdanov

I've owned mine for a little over a year.

100% worth it, it will pay for itself in ink savings if you are printing alot. I'm at 5.9 cents/sq ft after printing 350k sqft. I went from spending 3.5k per month on ink on my rolands to 1.5k on ink per month for the Colorado. that savings more than pays for the machine

Full rolls printed in an hour, perfect color and panel length consistency. I've reprinted panels for customers 6 months later and its a perfect match. Very easy to use.

KEYSER SOZE

It's as Christian and Victor said.

We just put the second one in last week.
The ink cost saving pays the lease on the first one we put in 3 years ago.
The second one means we rarely have to change rolls now until they are used up.
Canon here in South Australia have been brilliant, 3 technicians on call here in the city.

Speed, accuracy, scratch resistance, matte or gloss printing, immediate laminating, are all bonuses.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
The colorado is on another level compared to Latex. Seriously apples and oranges.
It kills latex in every way except no white ink. that's all.

But we love ours. it runs daily, it'll do 16hr shifts etc.

Evan Gillette

We got ours a few couple months ago, stepping up from a epson eco solvent (which we kept). They are incredible machines as everyone else has mentioned. I still use the eco solvent for everything long term outdoor (5yr + expected life) but pretty much everything else is now on the colorado.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We got ours a few couple months ago, stepping up from a epson eco solvent (which we kept). They are incredible machines as everyone else has mentioned. I still use the eco solvent for everything long term outdoor (5yr + expected life) but pretty much everything else is now on the colorado.
What is the expected outdoor life of the UvGel inks? I can't seem to find it on the spec sheets.

victor bogdanov

What is the expected outdoor life of the UvGel inks? I can't seem to find it on the spec sheets.
It has AVERY DENNISON ICS WARRANTY CERTIFICATION

"When combining UVgel 460 inks and Avery Dennison media and laminates, customers have the confidence that their printed applications will last up to eight years outdoors and up to 11 years indoors."

Canon is also did some unlaminated vs laminated comparisons, the ink holds up very well even with no laminate

Christian @ 2CT Media

Do you find the prints behave any differently than solvent/latex? Not stretching/ink issues when wrapping with UvGel prints?
Yes, it does. It has less overall stretchability but once you or your team get used to it, it is easy to work with. We still have latex for complex wraps just simply because it is easier but the Colorado handles the 95%.

I believe the 460 ink is now certified with all major manufacturers for full performance life.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yes, it does. It has less overall stretchability but once you or your team get used to it, it is easy to work with. We still have latex for complex wraps just simply because it is easier but the Colorado handles the 95%.

I believe the 460 ink is now certified with all major manufacturers for full performance life.

Good to know thanks. Talking to our Canon rep today to find out more.

garyroy

A few quick questions to present owners.
Are you able to service your machine to any degree? Like replace a print head or make alignment adjustments, or is all of that service tech driven?
Do you have a service contract on the machine, if so, cost per year?
Does the machine "mist" like some UV printers do? I know it's a Gel printer, but is there any kind of mist that comes off the machine that lands on surfaces?
Is there a smell to the printing inks? Does it have internal air recycling?
What is the cost $$$ for the base machine? Does that include install and training?
Sorry, just seeking a few real-world installation perspectives, not salesmen promises.

victor bogdanov

You can't do any service on the machine, even techs have to have a usb key that headquarters generates for your call. Techs can't go "rouge" (the printer is connected to Canon servers, not required but recommended for quicker tech service as they can remotely diagnose machine)

First year of owning the machine I did not have a service contract and all service calls were covered with the 1 year warranty (printheads excluded in the USA). Now I signed a service contract, the overall service contract price will be the same no matter if you sign up on first day of owning the machine or a year later, better signup on day 1 and lock in price. On day 1 there was a 5 year contract option available, a year later I was only offered up to 3 year contract. Wish I signed up on day 1

The print area is fully enclosed and there are charcoal filters that filter the air coming from the machine, no misting.

There is definitely a smell, some materials/speeds worse than others. I installed an air scrubber and good ventilation

The cost of machine/service contract you can get pretty easily by contacting Canon, that's the only price that matters not what someone else paid. You can expect the prices to be 3-4x higher than an Epson etc but when you account for how much you save on ink the Colorado is cheap if kept busy

victor bogdanov

Didn't someone say $500 a month which sounds very realistic.
Around there for service contract, there are a couple of different service options, the more expensive ones come with a bigger printhead discount and the most expensive plan includes 1 printhead per year (you are basically prepaying a printhead) MSRP for printheads is $4200 and the machine has 8 of them

Last edited: