• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon Colorado 1650 Question

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
So the guys over at Einstein Graphics tell me that this is normal, but every time the print head passes from left to right, the stainless steel belt that carries the ink supply and electrical lines taps against the top of the clear cover. It makes a faint thud. It's starting to wear a channel in the cover.

Do all of the Canon Colorado 1650's printers actually do this?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Can confirm our 1640 does this. Very annoying. Was more prominent in the earlier models. Newer ones have a bar in the middle to reinforce the middle from sagging.

When I mentioned it to the tech he said you can change it out as much as you want and it’ll still make the noise.

Weirdest part for me is that on different jobs it makes different thuds, maybe something to do with the width of the print/media. On the 1600 wide we get three thuds. Yippee

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We had it a year no problems then they changed the fibre optic cable that leads through the silver thingy that makes the noise and voila. Doof doof doof every time we’re printing now

jasonx

Ours doesn't hit when I just watched it. But I can see it may have touched the cover in the past with a slight mark in the cover.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Ours was very bad at the start, we had the stainless strip replaed and it mostly went away.
It happens on fast print modes and more narrow media.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Yep ours does it too! I have a slow mow of it too that really shows what's happening but I can't get it to work on youtube.
Our 1640 also did this and they ended up raising the whole acrylic case a half inch. I think the 1650 is already maxed out. I believe there cable length its just a little too long.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Yep ours does it too! I have a slow mow of it too that really shows what's happening but I can't get it to work on youtube.
Our 1640 also did this and they ended up raising the whole acrylic case a half inch. I think the 1650 is already maxed out. I believe there cable length its just a little too long.

that’s much worse than ours. How do you tell when someone is knocking at the door?

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
that’s much worse than ours. How do you tell when someone is knocking at the door?
It's not always like that though. It's weird, the carriage speed and size of the print have to match up and then it does it.

And we have a buzzer that is a lot more annoying!:D

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
With it being acrylic could you take it off or flip it back enough to be upside down and hit it with a heater gun to get it dome up enough to clear the carriage lines? I had to do this with a set of fender dump headers that were for a 69 Barracuda that ended up in a 73 Charger.

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
I second the idea of some kind of protection. Maybe a teflon strip, the kind you get with a adhesive back. I suppose as long as it's not forcing the echain to bend more than allowed for it's fine. Is there any room to fit your own support?

ConnorB

We had a tech at our facility and when he was fixing another issue we asked him about the thumping. Because one of our machines does not make any noise at all, while the other ones thump a lot. We mainly print in specialty mode and its not as bad. But the second you go down to production it gets really loud. Our tech re-aligned the metal but it only helped for a little. Our main issue is banding, even on the Canon calibration paper. We have been down on all our machines for almost a month now and Canon pretty much refuses to "see" the banding. So it has been very fun with them costing us a ridiculous amount of business for a month. With still no end in sight