• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon IPF9000S

Urban Image

Canon IPF9000s
As of the day I am typing this, the IPF 9000s has not yet been released into the market but there is no NDA so I can give my review. All in all, I was very pleased with this printer. I nearly pushed the HP out into the parking lot.
Durability of Prints
It uses pigmented inks and gets typical pigmented ink durability. Up to 1 year outdoor, 100 years indoors, etc.

Print Quality

This printer has a maximum print resolution of 2400x1200 dpi. That’s all good and all but completely unnecessary. 1200x1200 dpi is the typical resolution you’ll be running. The color on this printer is awesome. Far better than the HP Z6100 and better than the Epson 9800. The print quality is immaculate.

Print Speed

The IPF 9000s produces 1200x1200 dpi prints at 400 sfph. This is not really recommended for glossy media but, damn, that is fast and it looks good, too. Really good. Really fast. At 2400x1200 dpi it hit 105 sfph on glossy media. Awesome. Made possible by packing in over 30,000 nozzles. Holy crap.

Miscellaneous Rants

Doesn’t include RIP software. It doesn’t have an attached photo spectrometer.

Miscellaneous Raves

Very easy to use while still giving you versatility. Instead of taking away the ability to change settings like the HP it makes it easier to change settings and apply the change to a range of medias. This printer is user friendly but it isn’t coated in armor to protect it from idiots. It’s the perfect balance, as far as I’m concerned.
Did I mention how fast this thing is on real photo medias? Hell yes.
The ink tanks are nice. First of all, they’re really big. They’re 700ml. Second, the printer has intermediate ink reservoirs so if you run out of ink in the middle of a job you can change ink cartridges on the fly.
Definitely built better than that damned HP. We had the priveledge of introducing the IPF9000S at a tradeshow and people were walking right past the HP like it wasn’t even there and crowding around the Canon.

If you need a 60” printer for indoor and short term outdoor, this is it. To hell with the others. Seriously. It runs for just under $6,000.

Peace,
Zach

oc63rag

I've seen a couple of these in action and the one complaint I've heard from the owners is that Canon does not offer a media basket - the prints just drop to the floor. This comes as a huge surprise/disappointment.
Do you know if Canon has made a media basket available?

glyph-signs

<Canon does not offer a media basket - the prints just drop to the floor. This comes as a huge surprise/disappointment.>
THAT IS NOT TRUE! I have a Canon IPF8000 and it came with a media basket.

I am very happy with this printer, Beware it is huge and it will require a big chunk of space in your shop.

I am still trying to figure it out. I recently had to create 50 coroplast roadway signs for a political candidate. I printed the sign on adhesive backed vinyl and adhered it to the coroplast. It came out Ok and customer is happy with it.

However, I am afraid that adhesive vinyl would start peeling off. I know that this is overkill for the job but I had to do with the equipment that I have.

Any ideas how I can market my services?

Urban Image

Any ideas how I can market my services?

Printed advertising? Signs?

Do you know if Canon has made a media basket available?

The one I'm running came with a take-up basket.

Also, I do have some level of experience in printing but I found this printer to be very easy to use. If your vendor offers training you should be running at full speed by day two.

lilb93

All IPF 8000 and 9000 came with the media basket. I have a 8000 and the prints are the best I have ever seen. the New 8000S will have only 8 colors. The plain 8000 has 12 colors. I will take a look at it at the SGIA show next week.

Urban Image

I have an 8000 and an 8000S in my demo room. Their prints are of the same quality. Frankly, I don't see the benefit in having 12 colors over 8. Perhaps if you are in photo repro it could be important but I think being able to crank the prints out at 2400x1200 in 16 pass at 200+ sfph is more important.