• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cant Open Large JPEGs in Illustrator

T

Tim Cole

Ive been having trouble opening 20+mb jpegs in Illustrator cs2. Says"Insufficient Memory was available". Cant open, paste, or anything.

I have no problems opening tiffs 10x that size.

I have 2gb of ram and this is really the only problem of this type Ive ever had. Ive tried this with other comparible computers in the office with the same result.

HELP!! Thanks!!

SignBurst PCs

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Do you have a seperate scratch disk setup in you prefs? Is is full? If you are using your C: drive as you scratch disk in your prefs, then is that drive nearly full? Can you "place" the .jpg?

T

Tim Cole

Why not just open in photoshop and save as a tif?
Well I could but that increases the file size dramatically. Im already dealing with very large jpegs so when converted to tiffs the file size explodes.

I guess the point is it just doesnt make sense.

T

Tim Cole

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Do you have a seperate scratch disk setup in you prefs? Is is full? If you are using your C: drive as you scratch disk in your prefs, then is that drive nearly full? Can you "place" the .jpg?
Well I have a large D: drive but not sure how I have my scratch disc set up. I'll look into that, thanks.

But I'm correct in thinking this doesnt make sense? Will open tiffs but not jpegs.

GK

Export it as a .pdf then and open it in Illustrator, you shouldn't have any problems with size limits then. I don't know why you aren't able to open up large JPEGs, I don't have this problem. Do the JPEGs have any sort of metadata embedded into them? I have encountered JPEGs that had corrupt metadata from sending them through email, moving from thumbdrives and not stopping the device before ejecting the media, etc... If this isn't the case, I don't know what else to tell you since its opening TIFF files that are almost always larger.

T

Tim Cole

Well I have a large D: drive but not sure how I have my scratch disc set up. I'll look into that, thanks.

But I'm correct in thinking this doesnt make sense? Will open tiffs but not jpegs.
This has been an issue since the computer was brand new, over a year ago.

SignBurst PCs

What is the exact wording of the error?

I would tend to look at the scratch disk settings in Illustrator and your virtual memory setting (page file) in Windows.

Look for low disk space on your drives. When PS and Illy run out of physical memory, they start pulling form a "scratch" drive for virtual memory space. For optimal performace, Photoshop and Illustrator should have a dedicated "scratch" drive in the computer. Do not use a separate partition on the same drive, use a seperate drive altogether. Then defragment often. They will only use unfragmented space for virtual memory.

Doing this will clear up a lot of the out of memory errors, but it may just be a bug. I have no idea why it wouldn't run out of space opening another file type of the same (or larger) size.

animenick65

I have this problem with illustrator as well. Saving as .pdf as someone mentioned earlier will releive the problem.