• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canvas printing profiles, consistent prints and general tips

JonMiller

Hi Gang,

I have had several canvas requests recently and so got a few bits in (media, bars etc)

Are there any general canvas profiles recommended for the Mimaki CJV?

Also, do you guys have any tips for getting consistent & accurate results? It just seems really tricky to get the colours appear how they do in the image.
I know a pic on a monitor isn't going to be like the print but there must be a way of getting consistent 'true' results.
One might be ok but then the next may have too much magenta in it for example. A seascape might be a tad yellow and then a portrait might be a tad pink.

Is it a case of finding a decent profile and then try to edit the image as much as possible in Photoshop or similar prior to sending to the rip software? Any editing tips for setting up an image for canvas printing? Colour, B&W etc
Do you edit in photoshop and then use a different profile for each type of image (landscape, portrait, b&w etc)

I know there are going to be various possible responses and a variety of different ways to do things but as mentioned, just looking for some general advice on achieving decent and consistent canvas prints.

Customers have been happy so far but I know I can improve them!

Kind regards,

Jon

MODS - Please move to a more appropriate forum section if there is one as I couldn't see anything canvas specific

fresh

we are printing today on some polyester poplin, it didn't look so hot, so we just did a double strike on the ink, and now it looks great.

i don't work the printer, so that is all I got for you... but i'll be keeping an eye on this thread for future reference!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've had issues printing on canvas. For starters, most canvas material for print is not very white....so colors are going to be off. I've had to seriously tweak the profile I use (Versaworks) and play with the settings to get the look I want out of it. Maybe there is a better, truer white, canvas out there to use. Any other input would be nice.

JonMiller

Thanks for chiming in guys, hopefully this could be a good thread for people new to canvas printing when we get some more experienced people in here..

Yes, first couple for me were washed out until applying an overprint. I have yet to try more than a 2 overprint but will try at some point as the canvas does suck up the ink a tad.

Canvas I have been using is I believe Xerox premium cotton canvas.

Maybe the satin finish canvases are easier to get consistent results on due to their coating but have heard this also causes them to be susceptible to cracking when stretching over the bars?..

danno

When I was doing a lot of canvas, I was running a second version JV3. I wrote a profile for the canvas I used the most. It was a double strike profile. I kept a notepad next to my RIP with the job name and how I ripped it. Since then, I don't have the time to actually write the profile, but if one isn't available from the canvas manufacturer, I find a similar product and run a couple test prints, & modify accordingly, keeping notes in the spreadsheet I have on the RIP station.