• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

canvas prints scuff easily - help!

Colin

BTW, how much dry time is required on a canvas print before applying the Clear Shield? (EcoSolvent Ink). Printing on vinyl requires 24 hours (or more) because the ink affects the adhesive, but when there's no adhesive involved, such as with canvas, can we apply the Clear Shield sooner?

No, it doesn't. Like I said, the ClearShield liquid laminate caused the shrinkage as it dried.

You can't laminate canvas, which is what I'm speaking about.
Yes you can laminate canvas, you just need the correct equipment, we laminate thousands of canvas wraps each month, using a drytac hot press:

I've seen other companies use roll laminators with high heat levels apply laminate to canvas as well, but it's hit and miss.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
No, it doesn't. Like I said, the ClearShield liquid laminate caused the shrinkage as it dried.

You can't laminate canvas, which is what I'm speaking about.
Set the print up to be a gallery wrap. This will make sure you never have an annoying white edge. Just be generous with the gallery wrapped part of the image. Or simply stretch the print and then clear coat it. As long as you keep the print face down of a soft surface you'll be fine.

Colin

Set the print up to be a gallery wrap. This will make sure you never have an annoying white edge. Just be generous with the gallery wrapped part of the image. Or simply stretch the print and then clear coat it. As long as you keep the print face down of a soft surface you'll be fine.

Thanks Bob. I REALLY don't like gallery wraps. They just look cheesy to my eye. I much prefer black gaffer's tape around the edge.

I have tried stretching them first, but have been astounded at how easily it is to knock off a bit of ink from the "peaks" of the textured surface. It's like you just have to look at it the wrong way and there's a white spot - LOL.

My workaround with this particular canvas is to increase the size of the image to account for the shrinkage, and that seems to be working. I've noticed that a super thin coat of Clear Shield will cause the canvas to shrink a lot less than a slightly heavier coat.

Might you have a comment on how quickly one can apply the Clear Shield after printing? (EcoSol)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...Might you have a comment on how quickly one can apply the Clear Shield after printing? (EcoSol)
As soon as the ink is dry to the fingertip glide test. I.e. lightly drag a fingertip across a printed portion onto an unprinted portion and if you can't tell where the transition is or if it's fuzzy, then it's probably as dry as it's going to get. Although I've coated canvas prints right out of the printer and have never experienced any problem or different behavior than if I'd have waited.