• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Car Design Software

drummer

Hi Guys, does anybody know a software where you choose a car brand and model and create designs on it and cut it in actual size? I hope I was somehow clear.
Thanks Guys!

Bill Preston

There are at least two such deals that I know of. One is fairly inexpensive, and I don't know beans about it, other than I found their catalogue listing the vehicles a bit hard to get around in. It comes out of Europe, and lists a lot of vehicles not sold on this side of the pond.

Digital Auto Library, aka Pro Vehicle Outlines is IMHO a better set up, but more expensive. For the most part the vehicles are shown at 1/20th scale, unless otherwise noted. Covers early 90s to current models.

You will also hear from those who only use a digital camera, and scale up from the photo.

bill preston

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Templates are available in EPS format from

Mr-Clipart

Digital Auto Library

Many sign makers have come to prefer taking digital photos and using them as templates. That way everything is shown precisely where it is on the vehicle without concern for possible inaccuracies, dealer labels and other unexpected differences that may happen with committed templates. You might want to read over a short step-by-step on doing this

Making a Vehicle Template from a Digital Photo

drummer

well, I usually do work with digital camera procedure, but I wanted to have a go at this. just for curiousity. Are these softwares good for sun visors? because we cut them by hand on the car itself.

Mikew

I just got a copy of Pro Digital Outlines at the Columbus sign show. I've very happy with it.
The vehicles are scaled at 1/20 but they can be enlarged. Their template and my vehicle are dead on with the measurements.
The one from Mr-Clipart does contain many vehicles not available here in the USA. So you are paying for something you will never use.
If you can afford it go with Pro Vehicle Outlines!

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Bill Preston said:
You will also hear from those who only use a digital camera, and scale up from the photo.

Digital camera photos can be handy, but most would have to agree it is a "quick and dirty" method. Such images can be sufficient when photographed properly and used in conjunction with good reference measurements.

I can accept being accused as a control freak, but I just don't really trust others taking digital camera reference photos for me if the images are intended as a method to get "scale" out of something.

There's lots of mistakes that can happen when taking a reference photo. The camera lens may be zoomed out too wide, thus barrel distorting all of the subject matter. The image may not be taken straight on at the subject. Lots of people will just stand off at an angle from the subject, keystoning the image and making it pretty much useless.

Adobe PhotoshopCS2 has some nifty new tools for correcting keystoned images and correcting barrel distortion from digital camera wide angle lenses. Still, the tools aren't perfect.

Finally, digital cameras cannot escape the way perspective alters dimension and scale. Imagery in the center of the frame may be near correct ratio and proportion but anything out to the edges will be distorted. This is the problem that makes digital camera photos a poor guide for doing exacting vehicle graphics work. If you're needing something to fit vehicle contours to a precise level you'll have to work with accurately drawn templates. For an expensive job, you may need to develop your own just to be safe. We have the Pro Vehicle Outlines collection and some of the templates are not perfect.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Mikew said:
I just got a copy of Pro Digital Outlines at the Columbus sign show. I've very happy with it.
The vehicles are scaled at 1/20 but they can be enlarged. Their template and my vehicle are dead on with the measurements.
The one from Mr-Clipart does contain many vehicles not available here in the USA. So you are paying for something you will never use.
If you can afford it go with Pro Vehicle Outlines!

Drummer is from Malta Mikew. That's an island nation in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Bobby H said:
Digital camera photos can be handy, but most would have to agree it is a "quick and dirty" method. Such images can be sufficient when photographed properly and used in conjunction with good reference measurements.

I can accept being accused as a control freak, but I just don't really trust others taking digital camera reference photos for me if the images are intended as a method to get "scale" out of something.

There's lots of mistakes that can happen when taking a reference photo. The camera lens may be zoomed out too wide, thus barrel distorting all of the subject matter. The image may not be taken straight on at the subject. Lots of people will just stand off at an angle from the subject, keystoning the image and making it pretty much useless.

Adobe PhotoshopCS2 has some nifty new tools for correcting keystoned images and correcting barrel distortion from digital camera wide angle lenses. Still, the tools aren't perfect.

Finally, digital cameras cannot escape the way perspective alters dimension and scale. Imagery in the center of the frame may be near correct ratio and proportion but anything out to the edges will be distorted. This is the problem that makes digital camera photos a poor guide for doing exacting vehicle graphics work. If you're needing something to fit vehicle contours to a precise level you'll have to work with accurately drawn templates. For an expensive job, you may need to develop your own just to be safe. We have the Pro Vehicle Outlines collection and some of the templates are not perfect.

What you say is certainly true, yet in doing well over 100 vehicles using a mid-range Olympus and taking my own pictures and measurements, I can say that the typical tolerance I have experienced is + or - 1/2" over the length of a vehicle.

I know Christian at Digital Auto Library is quite thorough in taking his measurements. Yet, when I used his templates I encountered numerous issues with measurements being off or the right model not being included in the collection. Emblems are often different and dealer decals are totally not allowed for.

I think the manufacturers come out with variations and make changes which the template collections have no way to allow for and are a recipe for a layout that won't fit on the vehicle as planned or fit at all. The last time I used a template, the side doors on the van were off position by more than a foot and six inches wider than the template said they would be. I was fortunate that the install was being done at my shop so that I was able to change the layout to work in the true space that was available and recut the vinyls without losing my day and having to reschedule the install. By working from properly taken and scaled up digital pictures, I can see clearly anything which will need to be allowed for and everything fits as planned. With templates, it's a crapshoot.

drummer

Fred Weiss said:
Drummer is from Malta Mikew. That's an island nation in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea.

Dead ON, Fred Weiss! At least, some people do know where Malta is.:Cool 2: Cya!

Mikew

So I'm guessing that vehicle templates from the USA wouldn't be much good on Malta!!
And being from New York State, USA I assumed he was from Malta, New York!
Sorry for the geographic error!!