• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Carbon fiber and Realistic Flames

peavey123

I have a cutomer who wants a carbon fiber background with realistic flames to cover his drums. The only thing is I cannot find carbon fiber on my stock photo website. Has anyone run across any good quality carbon fiber images???

Thanks,
Aaron

oc63rag

jeroen

that tutorial is more for web graphics
I'd doubt you'd get decent results when you print it...

GK

that tutorial is more for web graphics
I'd doubt you'd get decent results when you print it...

set the scale that you want to work at and resolution and you will print fine. If you are making something from scratch @ a high PPI ...how would you figure it wont print well...

jeroen

you can scale it up, but then it will look like weird graded checkers instead of having a carbon look ;)

GK

you can scale it up, but then it will look like weird graded checkers instead of having a carbon look ;)

gonna have to seriously disagree...you don't scale it up at all. You set your resolution high enough to print, you work at a scale that is similar to an actual carbon fiber weave, and you do a pattern fill of the carbon fiber, you don't scale it up it or it will look like checkers. Assume that each of the weave fiber sections are approx 1/8th inch each and work at a high resolution. That link will provide you with the exact same effect you will get with the bundled version of those graphic fills.

Velocity

Its all about scale

Mark and George are correct your going to want to design to scale hence the part about trying it a few times. Ive printed it and it looks great. 2 to 5 feet away and you really cant tell especially if you are good enought to add shadows to whatever it is your sticking it to.

Mind you this was the first tutorial I googled there are better carbon tutorials out there you just need to look for them and find the one that looks best to you.:peace!:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I can generate you one with my new seamless tile filter as an experiment. One of the filters that comes with it is Carbon Fiber. The colors and scale are adjustable. You then take the tile, duplicate it on new layers in Photoshop to build as large a canvas of carbon fiber as you want at 300 ppi or any other resolution you might prefer.

Attached is a preview closeup. All I need from you is the preferred colors.

Attachments

• carbonfiber.jpg
    carbonfiber.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 136

jeroen

don't care if you call is scaling or making it in another dpi/ppi
it "looks" like carbon in 4x4 pixels on your monitor
if you print and still think it looks like carbon, well... I guess you never saw real carbon before :Big Laugh

ChiknNutz

I've you have enough of those DOTS, then it WILL look like carbon fiber...I don't understand what you're saying or something. If you make the bugger 1000000 PPI, then you're sure as heck gonna have a whole bunch more DOTS to represent the LOOK of carbon fiber than if at 10 PPI.

Velocity

don't care if you call is scaling or making it in another dpi/ppi
it "looks" like carbon in 4x4 pixels on your monitor
if you print and still think it looks like carbon, well... I guess you never saw real carbon before :Big Laugh

Welp here is a side by side of the carbon I created on the right in photoshop and real carbon sheeting image from a supplier on the left. I have blown this image up large enough to wrap a hood. From 2 feet away you cant tell with the exception of the more uniform lines of the photoshop version. But then again this is why they are comming to you because they cant afford real carbon fiber so they get the designer knockoff.

Just saying you might need more practice to get it right.:peace!:

Attachments

• Carbon Copy.jpg
    Carbon Copy.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 133