• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cart for roll media

NotADesigner

I can't figure out what to call what I'm looking for, or where to post this topic! So I'll just make a new thread here :Big Laugh

I would like to either buy or create a cart for printed media that is on a roll. In other words, when I print roll to roll from my printer, I want to take that roll and mount it on a stand (probably rolling) that can be in front of or behind my Keencut... or next to our guillotine cutter. Basically so I can unroll the media and cut apart each piece (printing 80 ft of posters right now).

What is the name of what I'm looking for, and who sells it?? And I know someone on here has probably built such a contraption before... does anyone have pictures to share?

Thanks!

Saw Trax

Our cart may work for your purposes. It's not really designed to feed rolled materials but it would hold the full roll and serve many other purposes around your shop.
Rolling-Substrate-Rack.jpg

NotADesigner

Our cart may work for your purposes. It's not really designed to feed rolled materials but it would hold the full roll and serve many other purposes around your shop.
View attachment 97196

Thanks, but it's not quite what I am looking for. I need something that holds the media horizontally close to the height of the Keencut/cutter. So a bit above waist height. Right now I'm rolling it from the waste roller on top of my laminator. Not optimal, but it works.

phototec

I don't know of anything like that in our industry, however you could use a MOBILE SHRINK FILM DISPENSER.

https://www.google.com/search?q=MOB...YHYAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1490&bih=797#imgdii=_

But to be honest, something like that would be very easy to make with electrical conduit and some casters, and you could make it custom fit to your specifications. Even add a shelf for a rotary cutter to cut them down to a manageable size first.

:thumb:

Attachments

• dispenser-shelf-l1.jpg
    dispenser-shelf-l1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 67
  • shrink_wrap_go-cart_dispenser_rack.jpg
    shrink_wrap_go-cart_dispenser_rack.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 60

NotADesigner

Well that is certainly very close to what I'm looking for! And I think it would work! I can't believe nothing like this exists in our industry. Everyone else must have a better way of doing things that I am missing lol

NotADesigner

That would definitely work Pat! I could get two of those and just leave them unmounted to move around the shop or set them on a rolling cart or table near where I am working and I would be set!

phototec

That would definitely work Pat! I could get two of those and just leave them unmounted to move around the shop or set them on a rolling cart or table near where I am working and I would be set!

Really, those cost over $100 each ($200 plus shipping) and DON'T roll around like you wanted. Besides they are light weight and made to hold 15" Gerber edge material!

You could make something like that out of 2x4's and a piece of PVC pipe for $20 and 15miinutes.....:banghead:

phototec

This is true......

I guess they're a lot more convenient around here since we have them kicking around, but you're right, you could probably rig something up for much less $.

Yep, before I forked over $220 for those Gerber do-dads, I would make something like shown below.

Besides, the OP said he wanted it to roll around, so that he could move it from printer to table, you could actually modify the one below with longer side frames and add 4 cheap casters from Harbor Freight for $20 extra, and have exactly what he wanted.:rock-n-roll:

:smile:

Attachments

• kids-paper-roll-holder-4.jpg
    kids-paper-roll-holder-4.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 56
  • diy paper craft roll holder kids 2.jpg
    diy paper craft roll holder kids 2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 54
  • paper roll holder.jpg
    paper roll holder.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 63

player

You could also make it to accept a Supply55 style take up reel and it would be somewhat automated...

phototec

Really, those cost over $100 each ($200 plus shipping) and DON'T roll around like you wanted. Besides they are light weight and made to hold 15" Gerber edge material!

You could make something like that out of 2x4's and a piece of PVC pipe for $20 and 15miinutes.....:banghead:

Ok, I priced it out for less than $30 in materials and maybe an hour of your time, see drawing below.

Two 2x4 8' long $7
One 2" PVC PIPE 10' long $4
Four 3" casters with brakes $15
3' Screws

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-swivel-caster-with-lock-95356.html#.Ux-XJvldVvA

smiley-face-soldier.gif

Attachments

• 30 Dollar Media Roll Holder.jpg
    30 Dollar Media Roll Holder.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 50

phototec

I would use a broom handle instead of plastic pipe.

Ok, along with the splinters, you will save the $4, so you can make yours for $26.......:banghead:

The 2" dia. PVC pipe will look better (more professional), be more ridged, and you can use standard pipe fittings on the end like the PVC cap (below), to slip on the ends of the pipe to secure the roll in place.

phototec

Broom handles are hardwood so no splinters.

Well, broom handles must be REAL LONG in Canada, cause here in the US the average broom handle is only 42" long.....soooo you would NOT be able to make a media roll cart (like I suggested) for 54" wide media as the OP wanted!!:banghead:

I'll stick to the 10' PVC pipe for $4 that can be cut to the desired length.....:clapping:

smiley-face-soldier.gif

player

Ok...

So I made my media holder out of a board; a couple of jack stands; an expandable paint roller handle (65" ?); some plastic core ends taped together; and bungee cord that holds the paint handle to the jack stands plus acts as a mild brake to prevent the roll from unwinding on it's own. All from junk I already had. Price: $0. Build time: 10 minutes.

Set board with jack stands on table, saw horses or floor. Put roll on paint handle. Put core ends into media roll ends. Fasten stick to jack stands with bungee cord.

phototec

Ok...

So I made my media holder out of a board; a couple of jack stands; an expandable paint roller handle (65" ?); some plastic core ends taped together; and bungee cord that holds the paint handle to the jack stands plus acts as a mild brake to prevent the roll from unwinding on it's own. All from junk I already had. Price: $0. Build time: 10 minutes.

Set board with jack stands on table, saw horses or floor. Put roll on paint handle. Put core ends into media roll ends. Fasten stick to jack stands with bungee cord.

Ok, NOW ROLL it over to the your printer like the OP requested and then you got something..

I know, you'll go out side the farm house, get a wagon, bring it inside and assemble you contraption on top of a couple of milk creates in the wagon, oh wait, the wagon is NOT 54"+ long so that doesn't work either.... :ROFLMAO:

Maybe you can barrow another wagon from your neighbor, and tie them together with some left over shoe laces from you old shoes (you know you have been saving them for just this kind of opportunity)...

Winner- winner chicken dinner!!!!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
How far away is your ceiling?
Our layout/cutting table is under our indoor warehouse mezzanine so we just dropped 2 looped cords down from a cross beam at the head of our table.
Slide the core onto a 6ft pipe and let it hang. When it is not in use there is nothing in the way around the table & no floor space taken up.

wayne k
guam usa

phototec

In other words, when I print roll to roll from my printer, I want to take that roll and mount it on a stand (probably rolling) that can be in front of or behind my Keencut... or next to our guillotine cutter. Basically so I can unroll the media and cut apart each piece (printing 80 ft of posters right now).

How far away is your ceiling?
Our layout/cutting table is under our indoor warehouse mezzanine so we just dropped 2 looped cords down from a cross beam at the head of our table.
Slide the core onto a 6ft pipe and let it hang. When it is not in use there is nothing in the way around the table & no floor space taken up.

wayne k
guam usa

The OP wants rolling cart media holder, that would act as a take-up reel in front of the printer (80' of media), then be able to roll it to one of his cutters...

Your idea is stationary, not mobile...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The OP wants rolling cart media holder, that would act as a take-up reel in front of the printer (80' of media), then be able to roll it to one of his cutters...

Your idea is stationary, not mobile...

If he rigged up really long ropes he could load it up at the printer and then swing it Cirque du Soleil trapeze-like over to his cutter......

wayne k
guam usa

NotADesigner

LOL this thread got entertaining after hours :Big Laugh

phototec - when I said the Gerber rolls would work, I didn't necessarily mean that is what I would do... and there would still be some construction involved! I think there is going to be some construction involved regardless of which method we go with. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't building something that will wobble itself to death over time lol

By the way, we do have a take up roll on the printer, I just want to be able to put THAT roll on something to unroll it. So everything from PVC pipe to an expandable paint pole would work. I like the paint pole idea since that is fiberglass and would not sag. Definitely gives me some ideas to work with.

player

LOL this thread got entertaining after hours :Big Laugh

phototec - when I said the Gerber rolls would work, I didn't necessarily mean that is what I would do... and there would still be some construction involved! I think there is going to be some construction involved regardless of which method we go with. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't building something that will wobble itself to death over time lol

By the way, we do have a take up roll on the printer, I just want to be able to put THAT roll on something to unroll it. So everything from PVC pipe to an expandable paint pole would work. I like the paint pole idea since that is fiberglass and would not sag. Definitely gives me some ideas to work with.

Gotcha Jon!