• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cartridge recycling?

bluehammer

I know this has been tossed around before, but does anyone know where we can recycle ink cartridges? Epson and Mimaki. Staples used to do it but I'm not sure anymore.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I know this has been tossed around before, but does anyone know where we can recycle ink cartridges? Epson and Mimaki. Staples used to do it but I'm not sure anymore.
I've taken Roland WF cartridges to staples along with my Epson desktop ones. Worth a shot.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Dumpster is where mine go. Years back there was a big push to recycle even the home ones but I don't hear much anymore.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Office Depot.
Allowable 10 cartridges per month for store credit.
We have three accounts and let our employees have the credits.

gnubler

Does anyone actually believe they recycle these things? Literally transporting garbage across the country in trucks, and then to who knows where for recycling. China? That's not good for the environment at all.

I live in a rural location where the city implemented curbside recycling bins to look progressive. They pick up all the bins with one truck and load all the trash on flatbeds where it's transported out of state to a landfill. No one is sorting this stuff, it's not economically viable.

ikarasu

Cartridges (at least latex) get recycled. HP re uses them.- it's cheaper for them to reuse than to buy a new one, so it's in their interest to. Same with the gs3 Epson inks, I know Epson reuses there's as well - I had a family.member that worked at staples.when they just started their recycle program... They'd sort all the cartridges and send them back to the vendor for some $$. All Epson's would goto Epson, and canon goes to canon, etc - certain ones would get thrown out... I believe the cartridges with print heads on them. I don't know for sure what they did with commercial ones... So maybe they garbage them, but I doubt it.

And if you don't trust that - all the aftermarket ink suppliers will buy used ones off of you, because they re use them as well. They usually give you credit for sending them in.

HP will send you a free Purolator label to ship back as many, or as little as you want. We usually wait until we get about 50 and send them back - they don't pay you for them of course, but at least they'll pay for shipping so you just dump them all into a box and print a label.. very low effort.

HP now uses cardboard containers... So we break them down and recycle them with our cardboard.

Epsons new resin printer uses foil bags.

Seems like all the newer printers are going to more environmentally friendly options out of the gate.

Over here... If they catch you throwing them away it's a huge fine. Every so often there's someone standing there as our big 40 ft bin gets dumped at the waste station to make sure we're not dumping stuff we shouldn't be... We got dinged $300 once because someone threw away an old mattress... :roflmao:

I doubt they'd find an ink cart, especially if it was put in a black bag first.... But all the ink vendors we use have easy returns, so we don't bother. Our vanguard ink bottles we just rinse out and bring to the plastic recyclers once a year with all our vinyl cores, or when we have a full skid of vinyl cores - they take it for free and are 5 mins away.

Maybe they just garbage them, but at least we "try" to do our part in reducing waste, in an industry where a ton of plastic waste is produced.

I don't go out of my way to buy now free vinyl or anything. But when I pay per lb for garbage that they hall away, why not spend 2 mins and ship them for free or recycle them for free when there's a recycling plant every 5 blocks in our city! It may onlymcost a couple of cents in weight... But the amount of ink we go through is crazy, it's probably a whole 20 ft bin every year, plastic cores probably 4
5 20 ft bins - that's a few hundred bucks each bin in savings just by recycling. If you go through a few carts a month I can see it not being worth the hassle.