• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cast Vinyl Problems

SignDesignLady

Always Learning
We installed Oracal 951 vinyl lettering on an RV in Nov. 2019 and recently received a request for an explanation for lifespan, and pictures from one of our long time customers. I have been in this business 10 years now and I have never seen this happen with a cast vinyl. Anyone have any idea what could have happened? This RV is stored under cover for most of the year, the customer said no chemicals were used on it and I am just stumped. (see pictures)

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 147

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It looks like that is a metallic or brilliant version of the 951. Take a look below for the life expectancies. If you used Brilliant and some metallics, it's basically at life expectancy now.

10 years – black and white
8 years – colors & transparent
6 years – metallic
3 years – brilliant blue L, bronze, copper, foliage green, gold metallic, pale gold, pyrite, red gold L, metallic, steppe green metallic

SignDesignLady

Always Learning
It was not the brilliant, I went back into my order history and it was the metallic, 6 year product, at least that's what my paperwork states, I no longer have the packaging so I can't prove it was indeed that product. We are looking at replacing it with a 3M 2080 cast wrap vinyl product. I am looking at the warranty on that and it states this:
  • Improved warranty (up to 7 years vertical and 2 years horizontal in most parts of the U.S.)
I'm sorry but there is still some jargon I don't understand and that is one of them. Can someone explain what they mean by vertical and horizontal in relation to this product?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It was not the brilliant, I went back into my order history and it was the metallic, 6 year product, at least that's what my paperwork states, I no longer have the packaging so I can't prove it was indeed that product. We are looking at replacing it with a 3M 2080 cast wrap vinyl product. I am looking at the warranty on that and it states this:
  • Improved warranty (up to 7 years vertical and 2 years horizontal in most parts of the U.S.)
I'm sorry but there is still some jargon I don't understand and that is one of them. Can someone explain what they mean by vertical and horizontal in relation to this product?
Vertical = on a car door

Horizontal = on a car hood or roof

Horizontal applications take the most abuse due to the elements, and the increased likelihood of prolonged direct exposure.

JB

SignDesignLady

Always Learning
I assume you mean painting the vehicle? I have never done that and would have no clue where to start with that process.

BluetailGFX

Journeyman
If this is an RV, is this damaged vinyl on the angled Front of the RV? the angled surface will age the film like its flat....."horizontal". It maybe covered, but perhaps that end gets some sunlight in the afternoons?

Also, no guarantee the roll you got to use wasn't already over 12 months old, or sitting in a hot warehouse somewhere before you used it.

In my experience, when a "client says" that no chemical has touched it, then "a chemical may have touched it". For all you know they used windex with ammonia to clean the thing or hit it with old carnuba wax.