• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cast vs Calendered and clear coat

Colorburst

I lettered this truck about two years ago. Some of the lettering was damaged in an ice storm so they want to have everything that is not in great shape replaced. All of the original lettering is Avery intermediate opaque vinyl and all of the Black has shrunk, leaving adhesive residue around the letters that has attracted dirt. The Black behind the yellow letters has also split in some places. I have since switched to Oracal 651.
I have at least two questions.
If I replace this with cast vinyl will it prevent these problems?

They have asked about putting a clear coat over all of this. I think they will spray an automotive clear coat over it.
What problems will that create?
Sorry about this being so long but, trying to cover all the questions with one post and I thought the background info would help.
THANKS
George

Attachments

• LaborersTruck-side.jpg
    LaborersTruck-side.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 140

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Cast is king for vehicles. Calendared vinyl is fine for site signs and banners.

Never had a problem with sleet, freezing rain or hail. Icebergs maybe.

Letterbox Mike

Cast will solve this problem, preferably not Avery cast. If in doubt, go 3M.

I don't think I'd be clearcoating over that either, seems like a recipe for disaster, or at least a permanently unsellable trailer. Why do they want to clear it?

Mosh

We use cast for everything but banners and coro signs! Cut corners to save a buck and see what happens! Repuation is worth more than that!

Bigdawg

Just Me
I probably wouldn't be scared to do that in Oracal 651. That stuff stands up pretty damn good. Is cast king? Yep... but sometimes that's not what the budget will support. I do very little actual cut vinyl anymore though- I'd probably print that instead (understand that may not be an option). I guess the big question is how long do they expect it to last?

I don't think I'd want to clearcoat it..

Mosh

I guess it all depends on how you want your company to be refected. One that uses top quality material making stuff that will last or just some cheap hack out to get the job on price alone. 651 is a good material for cheap stuff as outlined in it's specs from oracal.

JasperST

Looks like the low bid got the job. Ice storms don't damage professional work unless a tree falls on it.

petesign

Cast vinyl, no clear coat. You can order 3m cast vinyl in short rolls (say 10 feet) ... definitely worth it.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I guess it all depends on how you want your company to be refected. One that uses top quality material making stuff that will last or just some cheap hack out to get the job on price alone. 651 is a good material for cheap stuff as outlined in it's specs from oracal.

That is really rich coming from you Mosh... and I stand behind everything I do. Period.

Actually the specs from Oracal say 651 has 6 yr outdoor durability if you want to get technical and cast is an 8-year... Personally would never sell 651 as a 6 yr job... but for a 2-3 year job? Absolutely...

Colorburst

Thanks for all the feedback ! Seems like budget is always a factor and I try to explain to them what they can expect. After seeing what price get them, they have decided to pay for cast this time. Cast, no clear coat. Thanks again

Colorburst

It has been 2 years and they knew going it was not going to last 5-6 years and having a slab of ice slide down the side of the truck is not covered under any warranty but I'll take luck anytime I can get it, which is not very often.

JasperST

Good for you, but you said earlier:

"...all of the Black has shrunk, leaving adhesive residue around the letters that has attracted dirt. The Black behind the yellow letters has also split in some places."

chopper

man, I cannot believe that anyone uses anything less than a cast material for a vehicle...it defies logic, the few pennies and I mean pennies (per sqft) it costs to use say 751 over 651 it is a no-brainer, after you have to re-do a few jobs that fail like yours did, it becomes apparent that doing the job with the good stuff is the way to go...( and way way cheaper in the long run, easier and cheaper to do the job once instead of twice) in fact I do not have anything but cast material in stock, it just does not pay to have the money invested in a high performance and a low performance material, you need to explain to your customers why you do not use the low grade stuff, the only place I will use low grade vinyl is on banners and cloro signs, and most of the time it is not worth buying the material when I have the cast in stock. also the cast weeds way easier lays down better, removers way cleaner, the list goes on and on...
//chopper