• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CC and BCC mistake... Now I know your customers

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'd like to explain this for people that are not familiar with it. When sending an e-mail to multiple people, CC allows everyone who receives that email to see the list of others who also received it. BCC does not.

A local sign shop competitor of mine, occasionally sends out a mass email advertising their digital billboard they have in town. I think I referred them a customer once because I am on their email contacts list. Thing is, the last email they sent was CC. I pretty much have their customer contact list. The e-mail address of buyers at the PD, school system, supplier e-mail's, business owners e-mails, I pretty much can decipher it all.

Clearly valuable information to me. What should I do with this new contact list?

NOTE: The question is tongue-in-cheek, I'm not doing anything with the list.

Last edited:

visual800

so they got a billboard BUT they also are emailing folks informing them they got a billboard OR do they own the billboard?

that list IMO is worthless, when you take advantage of a situation such as that it usually doesnt turn into a long term relationshit

DerbyCitySignGuy

I'd like to explain this for people that are not familiar with it. When sending an e-mail to multiple people, CC allows everyone who receives that email to see the list of others who also received it. BCC does not.

A local sign shop competitor of mine, occasionally sends out a mass email advertising their digital billboard they have in town. I think I referred them a customer once because I am on their email contacts list. Thing is, the last email they sent was CC. I pretty much have their customer contact list. The e-mail address of buyers at the PD, school system, supplier e-mail's, business owners e-mails, I pretty much can decipher it all.

Clearly valuable information to me. What should I do with this new contact list?

Sell to other sign shops in the area, duh.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have received my vendor's and competitor's customer email lists many times. It really helps out with the email marketing. Also, since my name is similar to a president at one of the major printer manufacturers and I get CCed on stuff once in a while, I have received emails detailing which dealers they were about to fire.

RustyNZ

Many places have laws around sending unsolicited emails so even if you have their emails it does not mean you can email them advertising etc. Could get you a fine for spam. In my country I think it's $10,000 per recipient if you get caught out sending unsolicited emails. I'm no expert but I think that could fall under unsolicited/spam emails.

Probably safer just to sell that list to the Russians.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Many places have laws around sending unsolicited emails so even if you have their emails it does not mean you can email them advertising etc. Could get you a fine for spam. In my country I think it's $10,000 per recipient if you get caught out sending unsolicited emails. I'm no expert but I think that could fall under unsolicited/spam emails.

Probably safer just to sell that list to the Russians.

Yea we have laws like that too I think. We also have laws against telephone spamming... clearly no one is enforcing it or gives a rats.