• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CG-160FXII - Can you download Fine Cut software?

MarkH42

We have a CG-160FX11 running on a Mac computer. We bought this plotter used with some other equipment and there was no software disk. An employee had a smaller Mimaki plotter of his own and he "loaned" us his disk so we could run the machine. He says there is no way to get this software and if he were to leave and remove his software from that machine (something he has said he would do), we would be out of luck and would have to buy a new plotter. From what I see, the software is out there and available for download. I'm fine buying it - not looking for a freebie. What are my options?

You cannot download for free, but you can buy it for around $250, just had the conversation with mimaki rep last week.

The CD itself doesn't contain a serial number but you have to have it in the cd-rom to generate one. You can borrow someone's cd and have a serial number, you can also use an .iso file.

If you get an .iso please share it with me too :D

It's just so stupid that they fu*k around with the stupid software which you cannot use without a mimaki plotter anyway. It just makes no sense.

Last edited:

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
You CAN download the software, and upgrades. Just go to Mimaki's site and search for it.
BUT... there is a multitude of versions of FC to use, depending on which version of what software you have (Corel X3,4,5,6,7 2018, 2019 etc, or Illy) and which operating system (XP, Win7, 8, or 10) and not every version works with every operating system - it can be a real pain to get it sorted out.

However you won't be able to install it without an original CD.
There was a workaround, but it does not work with Win 10, nor the newest versions of Corel.

(I do have an original CD, but it is cracked (snapped plastic in the centre), so I cannot take or make an iso from it, but it works sufficiently to allow me to install an older version of it on a PC - weird.)

Theb you have to install the USB 1 & 2 drivers, too.

MarkH42

Ok, this makes perfect sense. What I am missing is the DISK (borrowing his)...... Is there ANY way to get that if you don't have one? Also, this is a Mac without a CD-ROM...where does the disk go? (Not as tech savvy as I wish I was)

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I have no idea. "Macs" are another language to me- I used two , 20 years ago and hated it.
You'd need to borrow and duplicate his CD - and I guess you could do that on a PC with a CD/DVD drive...
But it's not just a matter of duplicating the contents, as it is of duplicating or cloning the entire CD, inc the CD name.
That worked for me for Win XP and Win 7, but it ground to a halt when I tried to install Finecut in Corel 2019, on a Win 10 machine. I did succeed in the end - I forget how, but it was painful.

(Like I said, my CD won't let itself be cloned or duplicated due to the break, but it was happy to tell the PC it was legitimate, and to continue to install Finecut.)