• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Channel Letter Installation instructions wanted:

Bradley D

www.jigsign.com
I'm seeing if anyone would be willing to share with me installation instructions for installing channel letters. I would be just using it as a template and pull into into CorelDRAW. Thanks.

Rocco G

There are too many variables to be able to come up with a specific set of instructions. Are they raceway mounted, flush mounted, lit on both faces, hung on a frame, reverse lit, etc. Then there are the different installation surfaces - EIFS, brick, stone, tile - and the variations on each. Plus are you inside a building, outside, on a high-rise office building, etc. We do wholesale installation for national chains and even the "cookie cutter" franchise stores each have their own variations from store to store. For example, I'm doing a job tomorrow and Tuesday and we have three different installation details/surfaces on four sets of letters.

TBH, with LED's the installation of channel letters is MUCH simpler (95% of the time) than when they were all lit with neon. I really do not miss the days of drilling 1 1/2" holes in concrete for PK housings.

If you have a more specific question it will be easier to give you some help.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I can't imagine a signshop requiring instruction... are you planning on selling to the end-user and contractors?

If so, you might check out Signmonkey.com - as repulsive as they are to me, they have basic instructions you could get "inspiration" from.

Rick

Tape pattern to wall.

Drill mounting and wiring holes.

Mount letters to wall.

Wire sign.

Collect final payment.

I want to move to Canada....

If the OP is selling to the end user, they need to know the complete process....

Over here it's:

Prior to installation:

Research Code
Research comprehensive sign program details
Verify what is required to pull permit
Design
Get Down Payment (the earlier in the process, the better)
Sign off with business owner
Sign off with property owner and/or agent
Design Engineering/Permit Drawings
Engineer (if required)
Pull Permit
Fabricate Sign
Verify Dedicated Power Source or have one added by the correct licensed contractor
Pull electrical access to area needed to install the sign by the correct licensed contractor
Verify wall construction and if special considerations are required
Verify access to the back or wall/crawlspace or roof/parapet
(Added) The day of the install, make sure ground access is secure
(Added) Make sure access is limited to pedestrians and vehicles in the work area so the install can proceed in a safe and timely manner
(Added) Perform required safety checks, and OSHA safety procedures are in place

Installation:
Tape pattern to wall.
Seal all penetrations as required.
Mount letters to wall.
Call for inspection (if required at this time or at end)
Wire sign.
Final Sign Off
Collect final payment
Pray to whatever god, entity or thing of your choice - or for non-believers, give thought with a moment of clear reflection that you made enough after paying insurance, taxes, licenses, fees, labor and business expenses...

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I want to move to Canada....

If the OP is selling to the end user, they need to know the complete process....

Over here it's:

Prior to installation:

Research Code
Research comprehensive sign program details
Verify what is required to pull permit
Design
Get Down Payment (the earlier in the process, the better)
Sign off with business owner
Sign off with property owner and/or agent
Design Engineering/Permit Drawings
Engineer (if required)
Pull Permit
Fabricate Sign
Verify Dedicated Power Source or add one
Pull electrical access to area needed to install the sign
Verify wall construction and if special considerations are required
Verify access to the back or wall/crawlspace or roof/parapet

Installation:
Tape pattern to wall.
Seal all penetrations as required.
Mount letters to wall.
Call for inspection (if required at this time or at end)
Wire sign.
Final Sign Off
Collect final payment
Pray you made enough after paying insurance, taxes, licenses, fees, labor and business expenses...

You forgot the first step in installation..... Go door to door in the shopping center trying to find the owners to vehicles you need moved... and the one right below the sign is the one where the owner is no where to be found.

Rick

You forgot the first step in installation..... Go door to door in the shopping center trying to find the owners to vehicles you need moved... and the one right below the sign is the one where the owner is no where to be found.

You're right!
I used to make the owner do that... or have them do tape it off early in the morning... but you just reminded me of a few other things...

Last edited:

Bradley D

www.jigsign.com
I've done over 100 of them, what do you need to know?
Since I'm just doing the fabrication portion, I need to include basic installation instructions for UL requirements and wanted to get something that looked at least semiprofessional. I doubt any installer will even look at them but you never know. My design skills are pretty shabby so I was hoping to "borrow" a file from someone to use as a template. Please send one to me if you are willing.

rossmosh

Since I'm just doing the fabrication portion, I need to include basic installation instructions for UL requirements and wanted to get something that looked at least semiprofessional. I doubt any installer will even look at them but you never know. My design skills are pretty shabby so I was hoping to "borrow" a file from someone to use as a template. Please send one to me if you are willing.

You have two options.

1. Make a video and post it on Youtube or some other video sharing site.

2. Create an instruction pamphlet. If you don't want to do it, you can hire it out. You can post something on Upwork and likely get the job done for something relatively reasonable.