• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cheap ebay clip art

Tim N

Well I bought some cheap clip art cd's for a specific logo to go on my own stock car from e bay. I know, this was my first mistake. The files are in a zipped format. I installed a zip program, un zipped the files and still can't import them to the Flexi program I'm using. I can view the images through the catalog opened in adobe. I 'm kinda in the dark here as I have never screwed around with any zipped files. Flexi tells me not a supported format. I contacted the seller and was told that It works fine for him and he doesn't know what to tell me. He had good feedback on the other cd's he has sold. Anyone know what i'm doing wrong or are the cd's junk?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
When you unzipped them, what format are they in? Just having WinZip on your computer or opening the zip file with it isn't the whole job. You must then either extract the files to a folder on your hard drive or drag and drop them into a folder. Once you've done that, you will most likely be looking at EPS or AI files and you will be able to open them in Flexi.

The files themselves, are probably mostly very good stuff representing tens of thousands of hours of hard work by clipart publishers like myself and easily pirated by these people who sell them on eBay and then disappear.

Tim N

Hi Fred I certianly don't want any pirated or stolen stuff in my collection. I did inquire and was told that everything was legaly obtained (not that that means anything). How do I know if they are really legit? i won't make the mistake of buying this stuff off e bay again and ordered it prior to being warned. If you'd like I'll email you with the ID and name of the set to see if you recognize them.
Thanks Again Tim

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Tim, please take no offense at my pointing out that this work is pirated. Lots of people buy it. I can almost guarantee that it contains 200 images published under the Plotter Art™ Originals release from 1996 along with lots of good work from Vector Art, OCA Enterprises, AdArt, Smart Designs and others.

None of us have been able to do much about it other than point out the obvious. Each image from inception to completion as a computer file represents, on average, 4 to 8 hours of work. How could anyone acquire rights to this much work and sell them at rates of less than 10 for a penny? I don't understand why more people don't understand that collections the size of what is coming through eBay cannot be legitimate. At least people who are in the business of selling their creativity and who know the time required to create good work.

Out of curiosity, did it come with any kind of software license agreement?

I currently have a collection licensed that contains 2400 images in full color and 100% vectors which we are almost ready to bring to market. It took the licensor more than 10,000 manhours to create it. This collection used to generate a fair return for the artist but he got creamed by illegal copying and redistribution. Today he drives a truck for a living. He will be receiving a royalty from our reworked collection of 20% of whatever we do with it.

I actually had a door to door huckster walk in my store and pitch me on what you purchased. I got no further than page 3 of the books (not included) he had printed out before I starting seeing my own work. It's this kind of crap and the lack of understanding on the part of the individuals who buy that are why I still am in the sign business and publish clipart as a secondary part of my business.

I also had an instance of receiving a call for tech support from a very confused buyer. He had ordered my Plotter Art™ Originals from a major sign supply distributor. What he received was an unlabeled CDR containing Vector Art Volume 1 along with photocopied pages of the Plotter Art™ Originals User Guide. The pages, of course, did not agree with the contents of the CD. I then proceeded to place an identical order with the distributor and a couple of days later received the same incompetently pirated product.

The problem was that I had not had my work illegally duplicated and sold .... Vector Art was the victim. I took the evidence to Roland, who was the sole licensed producer for the product and was told later that they had decided to do nothing about it because the distributor moved too much of their equipment for them to make waves about it. I have since refused all orders from the distributor and put him on notice not to display my products on his website.

As I said, don't be offended by my comments. As an uninformed buyer, you were a small part of the problem. Now that you are more knowledgeable, perhaps you will be a small part of the solution. :thumb:

Tim N

I totaly agree with you Fred and no offense is taken. I am pretty new to all of this and am learning as I go. I can appreciate how one can feel strongly about having their artwork stolen as it has happened to me before. I seriously plan to build a nice legit collection as I go. Fortunatly for me right now I don't have to make anything while I learn and anything i do make will go directly towards building my supplies. Please let me know when your new set comes out. There was no software license agreement. On the Cd's it does say Copyright 2004 and the name of the company.Not for resale and All rights reserved. The set is terribly un organized and there is no printed catalog just a couple catalogs for each particular file in pdf. format. If you'd like to know more about the set you can e mail me at nocero@madbbs.com I tried to un zip the files again and extract and it seems to work now. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.
Thanks Tim

Jen Goodwin

Are these .ai files? Sometimes when you can open them in Illustrator, you need to save them down to Illustrator version 5.5 to be able to import them into Flexi.