• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Checking out a VersaCAMM SP-540V

NickB

I have minimal experience with printing/cutting. Our company generally does small warning labels for our products. Recently, a posting on Marketplace has a VersaCAMM SP-540V for sale. We have been looking into getting a wider format. My questions are the following.
-Personal opinions on this particular model
-What problems to look for in buying a used printer
-Is this just going to be more of a headache to get working than its worth

I appreciate any and all responses.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's a good machine especially for what you're using it for. The main thing you want to look for is the quality of the heads. Have them print a nozzle check in service mode. The heads can fire multiple sized dots and the regular nozzle check only shows the largest. The service mode one prints both the large and a small dot version. The small dot version will show you much more about the health of the heads.

This machine is also fairly easy to work on relative to other machines so it can be worth it to fix it if needed as long as you're getting a good price. For example, if you need to replace both heads you're looking at about $1000. Also, they don't make boards for that machine anymore so if any of the boards fry you will only be able to find used ones to replace.

NickB

It's a good machine especially for what you're using it for. The main thing you want to look for is the quality of the heads. Have them print a nozzle check in service mode. The heads can fire multiple sized dots and the regular nozzle check only shows the largest. The service mode one prints both the large and a small dot version. The small dot version will show you much more about the health of the heads.

This machine is also fairly easy to work on relative to other machines so it can be worth it to fix it if needed as long as you're getting a good price. For example, if you need to replace both heads you're looking at about $1000. Also, they don't make boards for that machine anymore so if any of the boards fry you will only be able to find used ones to replace.
The price is $5,000, ebay even has that as the price. We are going to look at it sometime today. If its been unplugged for a extended amount of time, is that an immediate decision to replace the head or is it something that can be cleaned up?

I'm not exactly asking you to make the decision, but what does worst case look like? Fried board and both printer head replaced would that still be worth? IF unable to deduce the head condition, more of a move on decision? Part of the goal is to also expand a bit into larger format graphics. There is a desire to get a new device all together. What is the life looking like in an already old machine, and does it pay to invest if we only get maybe a few years out of it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Honestly $5k is a decent down payment on a new machine and I wouldn't value the SP540 that high. In perfect working condition I would say the SP540 is worth closer to $3k. If it needs both heads closer to $1,500.

Most of the parts for that machine are going to available for a while except the boards. There are still a lot of people making a living on them but they are on the older side. Also if it sat unplugged for a long time, it's more likely than not going to need 1 or both heads replaced.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've had ours since I think 2005 and it has served us quite well. However, it should be refurbished and completely working for that price. Like he said, use it as a down payment and walk away from ebay .

cornholio

There are some possible problems I see with this old printer.

Price is too high
Part supply unsure in the near future
Only works with old Versaworks 5.51
It has ink starvation issues when printing large uniform color areas.(may not be a problem, when printing small labels)