• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Choosing a Printer help

Pippin Decals

Im given the ok to buy a printer but i want to stick around 24-40" or so andwill take rolls. I dont want to wrap the world lol and i dont want to spend 15,000 .Is there anything around 2,000 to 5,000 that will work for vinyl printing etc... Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.. Thanks everyone..

stonetree

We have run so much that is at least 48" I would think after getting a smaller one you would regret it. I would recommend also getting one with a warranty or service agreement even if you have to hold out linger and get prints wholesale to you. I bought a used printer first and spent a bunch on repairs and quickly realized I needed a new one that I could depend on to stay running and make money.

401Graphics

I wouldnt go smaller than 48".
I currently have a mutoh 1204 (VJ48) and it is capable of printing 95% of the stuff i need. Anything else i outsource to trade only wholesale printing companies. I think the Muth 1204 is around $10,000 new.
I believe you can get a HP latex printer for $10,000-15,000 depending on which model.

And as stated above, you will also need a laminator, and vinyl cutter that is capable of reading registration marks.

Pippin Decals

Don't forget cutter + laminator + ink and vinyl inventory.

I have a cutter, but i didnt want to go larger than 24"really, but it depends on the sizes i would have to get stuck with, i plan on keeping my self limited to a size.I have been doing vinyl since feb and i have many repeat customers and business that come back for more and larger,But i just landed a construction company that is willing to stay away from print and just layered vinyl and change their desing so i can do them now, But they said if i get a printer they will go that route also,But its completely up to me ,,,Ive been doing other stuff for them and they know my work and now offered the business's signs and truck fleet to me which is awesome,,,So i have show in for this work,So i decided to just check out printing to a limited size i want to do..Thanks everyone..

kheebl

Are you planning to grow your company or eventually increase what you are able to offer your customers?

Without knowing your backround - have you considered subbing out your printing until you can build up enough business to justify buying an even larger printer?

My suggestion (just my $.02) would be to find a company nearby (or one of the Merchant Members here) to do your printing so you can look after your customer for now. Once you get a partner to work with, start pushing more digitally printed vinyl and thinking of ways you can move more towards this route. The opportunities are endless once you start working with with large format prints, there are hundreds of different ways they can be used, probably even with your existing customers without even having to go out and get more new customers.

I bet once you start familiarizing yourself with the potential of digital printing you'll realize that you want at least a 54" printer and cutter or printer/cutter.

I personally think you may not get your money's worth if you were to get something in that price and size range.

We went from 15" Gerber Edge & Gerber plotters to 48" Summa plotter, then 54" Roland print/cut, 64" Roland print/cut and 4'x8'...just to give you an example of how we progress from small format to large format. This if over the span of 6 years.

The benefit of working with a wholesale printer is that you don't carry the overhead of a printer, not to mention stocking inks/media/laminate/parts and the steep learning curve if you've never worked with a digital printer before. (It IS fairly simple to take a file and print it on vinyl - but having it print with proper color accuracy, laminating it and cutting it perfectly does take a bit of practice and experience) One thing I'd suggest is to ensure that this company delivers a quality product (they should be able to suggest suitable materials for the application) and that they deliver on time. Your customers don't necessarily have to know that you're subbing it out - but you need to be able to meet deadlines nonetheless.

Hope that helps. :thumb:

This response is perfect. You are in the same boat as I am I only have a cutter currently and outsource all of my prints and it works out great. Would I love to have a printer ABSOLUTELY but I don't have the steady workflow to justify it at the moment.

Pippin Decals

My primary work,well secondary with vinyl now lol is photography and i deal with color corecting and maching all the time ,I use a Monitor calibrator as well with pantone colors,skin and hair color swatches etc so i know i have the correct colors all the time.I do have a local shop i have had do prints for me whenever i needed it,But i thought it would be better for me cost wise is to just get me a printer and skip the middle guy for things i do currently, and if i need something larger then i go see my buddy at his shop,thats why i have no problem staying stuck with a smaller printer instead of a 54" or large like that..Most of my jobs are 24"wide and under,otherwise i just do layering for larger if needed,never had a problem yet for any job ive done.. My funds are unlimited but i want to limit it and be smart about it lol

Pippin Decals

Are you planning to grow your company or eventually increase what you are able to offer your customers?

Without knowing your backround - have you considered subbing out your printing until you can build up enough business to justify buying an even larger printer?

My suggestion (just my $.02) would be to find a company nearby (or one of the Merchant Members here) to do your printing so you can look after your customer for now. Once you get a partner to work with, start pushing more digitally printed vinyl and thinking of ways you can move more towards this route. The opportunities are endless once you start working with with large format prints, there are hundreds of different ways they can be used, probably even with your existing customers without even having to go out and get more new customers.

I bet once you start familiarizing yourself with the potential of digital printing you'll realize that you want at least a 54" printer and cutter or printer/cutter.

I personally think you may not get your money's worth if you were to get something in that price and size range.

We went from 15" Gerber Edge & Gerber plotters to 48" Summa plotter, then 54" Roland print/cut, 64" Roland print/cut and 4'x8'...just to give you an example of how we progress from small format to large format. This if over the span of 6 years.

The benefit of working with a wholesale printer is that you don't carry the overhead of a printer, not to mention stocking inks/media/laminate/parts and the steep learning curve if you've never worked with a digital printer before. (It IS fairly simple to take a file and print it on vinyl - but having it print with proper color accuracy, laminating it and cutting it perfectly does take a bit of practice and experience) One thing I'd suggest is to ensure that this company delivers a quality product (they should be able to suggest suitable materials for the application) and that they deliver on time. Your customers don't necessarily have to know that you're subbing it out - but you need to be able to meet deadlines nonetheless.

Hope that helps. :thumb:

I fully understand what your saying about a larger printer etc,But im going to limit myself at the size.I have certain business groupa that i work with already and know what the max size they all use and will ever need.So thats why i was looking for a size group.I dont plan on going bigger ,Plus the otherside of my business is photography and a larger printer would just be amazing for my shots i get etc.I do alot of wildlife and racetracks and macro shots etc and i love the Bald and lucistic bald eagles .I have a very high end photography setup and would love to do some prints for my walls...

Attachments

• _DJP3511.jpg
    _DJP3511.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 126
  • _DJP4403.jpg
    _DJP4403.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 137
  • _DJP3519.jpg
    _DJP3519.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 153
  • _DJP5191-Edit.jpg
    _DJP5191-Edit.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 136
  • _DJP5193-Edit.jpg
    _DJP5193-Edit.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 128
  • untitled-2926.jpg
    untitled-2926.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 134
  • _DJP5089-Edit.jpg
    _DJP5089-Edit.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 143
  • _DJP5312.jpg
    _DJP5312.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_7960.jpg
    DSC_7960.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 125
  • _DJP3709.jpg
    _DJP3709.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 139

player

That's why I thought you might go 54". Could open up a whole new market for you. Materials come in various sizes, 24",30",36",40",48",54" with 30" and 54" being the most common as far a I know.

A nice 7 or 8 colour Roland 54" would be a good choice for photography, and would accommodate all your sign needs now and into the future.

CanuckSigns

get whatever size you like, but keep in mind, the VAST majority of printable media is sold in 54" wide rolls, yes it can be cut down, but you are still paying for the whole roll. For example if you get a 40" wide printer (if such a machine exists) you would be paying for 54" material and throwing 14" of it in the garbage.