• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

City zoning code experiences for business location

Eatachurro

Hello,

I'm curious as to what zoning code sign printing (and also picture framing) businesses typically fall under?

I realize that it depends on the services offered, not to mention each city may have a different interpretation of the zoning codes :)

We currently do aqueous inkjet-only printing of artwork and photographs and sub out our sign work to another vendor. However, we are looking to bring some of that in-house by using an eco-sol printer and potentially a flatbed in the future after moving to a new location that we are currently searching for.

We are also considering adding framing with pre-finished molding (so we would not need a paint booth).

I have a trip planned to city hall to find out more directly from a planner. But when I look at our city's code there isn't really a category that seems to fit us. When I rented my current space I got different answers about zoning from the two different planners I met with. We do have a retail aspect to our business, but we are also doing a lot of custom work...that said, I don't think it's truly "custom manufacturing" or "light industrial" which are business zones I've been suggested to look for.

Stacey K

I like making signs
We are zoned in districts, and not much to choose from. I just looked on our map and I'm commercial service. The building should already be zoned maybe?
1669990792030.png

1669990862429.png

netsol

Hello,

I'm curious as to what zoning code sign printing (and also picture framing) businesses typically fall under?

I realize that it depends on the services offered, not to mention each city may have a different interpretation of the zoning codes :)

We currently do aqueous inkjet-only printing of artwork and photographs and sub out our sign work to another vendor. However, we are looking to bring some of that in-house by using an eco-sol printer and potentially a flatbed in the future after moving to a new location that we are currently searching for.

We are also considering adding framing with pre-finished molding (so we would not need a paint booth).

I have a trip planned to city hall to find out more directly from a planner. But when I look at our city's code there isn't really a category that seems to fit us. When I rented my current space I got different answers about zoning from the two different planners I met with. We do have a retail aspect to our business, but we are also doing a lot of custom work...that said, I don't think it's truly "custom manufacturing" or "light industrial" which are business zones I've been suggested to look for.
it's generally good to try to get an answer in writing
have you seen how the IRS says about 75% of the answers they give are WRONG? so try to get answer in writing or at least name, title & possibly employee number or whatever (for when the mutual finger pointing starts)

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Various cities, towns and suburbs usually only allow commercial signs to be installed in areas zoned for commercial or industrial use. There can be exceptions in residential areas, such as temporary signs like real estate yard signs, political signs. Off-premise signage is a tricky area. Most cities have serious restrictions for that.

Every locale is going to be different in terms of its sign codes. Generally speaking, locations with higher median incomes and home values are going to involve ever more restrictive ordinances. The political red-state vs blue-state thing doesn't apply here; I can point to suburbs using severely restrictive codes in both "liberal" and "conservative" places. Likewise there are places in both red and blue states where anything goes seems to be the norm.

It's also common for municipal governments to go through phases where they want to clean up the town. They immediately set their sights on the existing sign code and how they should change it. If we're going to build and install a sign in a town we haven't visited in a couple or so years we're going to re-check the codes to make sure nothing has changed.

Edit: I thought the question involved where printed signs could be installed. Oops.

Our business is mostly definitely located in an area zoned for Industrial use. That's where big corrugated metal buildings need to be located. We have a few crane trucks, a large "bone yard" used to store some new and old signs. Definitely not a retail-looking operation. A company that just does some large format printing and vinyl work can get away with operating in commercial-retail zones.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Think about what you're going to ask before you do it. Keep it general or you're going to run the risk of getting handed a bunch of hoops to jump through. Light industrial, retail, pretty much any commercial spot should fly. I was told once to not use the word manufacturing unless you want to have high insurance rates and a lot more regulations. If you insist that your business is heavy on the retail side, they may have strict requirements on parking, your bathrooms, door widths, counter heights, general accessibility and more scrutiny from the fire marshall since you will have customers inside your business. Saying printing could bring environmental scrutiny. I'm not saying to thumb your nose at the city but they generally don't care unless you start making a deal about it. Light industrial is generally the broadest zoning category that allows the most variations in business types, look for that and call yourself a sign company. You could easily argue that framing is a part of that.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
Light industrial is the best place, but you'd want something with a bit more exposure (maybe?) if doing retail, so units fronting the street etc.

But retail zoning might allow ancillary work to be done also.....usually costs more per sqft though.

Aardvark Printing

it's generally good to try to get an answer in writing
have you seen how the IRS says about 75% of the answers they give are WRONG? so try to get answer in writing or at least name, title & possibly employee number or whatever (for when the mutual finger pointing starts)
Where did you get that 75% figure?