• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJ-500 info?

dynawg

Having recently acquired a CJ-500. It’s time to pick the brains of those that have used them for a while.

First, what are the differences between the CJ-500 and the CJ-540? I found a service manual for a 540, and assume that even if not exact, the information should be basically the same.

Are there any other RIPs available (other than ColorChoice) that support this machine? Nesting would be useful, but evidentially not supported by ColorChoice. (according to Roland, the printer is not supported by VersaWorks.)

Are there any profiles available other than those posted by Roland for Roland media? Are there any particular combinations of media and profile that folks have had good luck with?

I’m still in the playing.. er.. I mean experimenting stages with this, and am impressed with the capability and output. Someday I’ll probably go solvent, but this is a great place for me to start!

Thanks all!
Cheers!
Bob P.

FrankW

The CJ-500 and the CJ-540 are more than slightly different. They have different printheads and much more. The print engine of the CJ-540 is two generations away from the CJ-500. The CJ-540 is the direct successor of the CJ-500, but just because there was no Print- and Cut-Version of the Hifijet PRO.

Every common RIP will support the CJ500, Flexi, Postershop, Wasatch and so on ... ColorChoice itself is a OEM-Version of SAi's PhotoPRINT SE (2.x, PhotoPRINT is currently on Version 6.x).

Profiles can be found at very different places, e. g. media manufacturers (if they still support this older machines and RIP-Versions).

dynawg

Frank,

Thanks for the input. I'll continue to dig around and see what I can find.

And welcome to Signs101!

Bob P.

FrankW

If you need a manual, I could help you. But I'm not shure if it is allowed here to post a download-link.

Just Me

I have a chance to purchase a CJ-500 also in good shape. What would the real value of it be? It has had new heads installed within the last year. Any info on the printer/cutter would be most helpful.

Anyone on here had any experience with this machine?

-thanks

dynawg

I have a chance to purchase a CJ-500 also in good shape. What would the real value of it be? It has had new heads installed within the last year. Any info on the printer/cutter would be most helpful.

Anyone on here had any experience with this machine?

-thanks

Well, I'm glad I got mine. But I'm sure it's not for every shop.

You are aware of the pigment inks vs solvent I'm sure.

It's old enough that profiles seem to be an issue, but actually I haven't done enough to really know that for sure. I haven't found any others to compare with what I have to know if they might be better or not.

My mom used the phrase 'slower than molasses in January' and that seems about right.

coated media.. laminate everything outdoors.. etc etc

It makes (to my eye) very good prints. The print/cut works really well. For my current space in time, I couldn't be happier.

Your mileage may vary. :thumb:

Good luck!
Bob P.

artsnletters

Cj500

I have one that most likely needs new print heads and what ever goes away from machine sitting. There used to be a guy on E-bay that sold a complete refurb kit for something like 660 bucks. Anyway, any ideas on service techs for this in so cal, preferably indys (as opposed to taking it back to Roland)?
Tim