• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV150-160 USB Connection Lost During Printing

AM

Hello all!

So I have an interesting situation here with the CJV150. I started with the company I work for almost a year ago and I have never used a Mimaki before. The initial setup was a dedicated computer running Windows 7 and directly connected via USB since that's all that can be used. I never had any issues with the machine originally.

We moved to a new building and because of the original layout we set up, the original computer was used and it was fine, but it was physically farther away from my main workstation and I had to constantly transfer files over the network. I eventually installed the printer on my main computer and because of the distance, I bought a 50 foot USB cable with repeaters that are in-line on the cable itself. This worked fine without an issue.

We moved the printer closer to my computer, but I kept using the same cable as there wasn't an issue. Well, about 2 months ago I would be printing something and the printer would just stop printing. Rasterlink says that it lost communication via the USB connection and that was basically it. The printer had never had this issue before and it's completely random as when it happens or what file or material, etc. When I restart the printer or change USB ports, Rasterlink sometimes is perfectly fine like all is well and it COULD print fine and actually finish or it could do the same thing.

Mimaki's website states all kinds of things to try as keeping the cable less than 3m, add a powered USB hub between the computer and printer, change cables, use only Intel CPU (not sure why that would have any type of impact), etc. So I have all of the requirements and have done multiple things to get rid of this problem.

To put it in perspective of the random timing: I was able to print about 40 feet of vinyl and also scrim banner yesterday without an issue. I come in today to print another banner that's 12 feet long and it starts out perfectly fine. After about 3 feet, it errors. Change ports and run it again. Errors about a foot in. Restart everything and change ports again. Errors out at 4 feet. I do the same thing yet once more and it finally prints the whole banner.

Talking with our main tech about this, he had brought up 2 possible causes: the mainboard could possibly be messed up or the USB port itself could have an issue.

Now our power in this building sometimes gets shut off or it flicks off and back on during bad wind or if they're doing construction, so my thought is that maybe that affected the USB port or main board even though the machine is plugged into a GFI outlet and a powerstrip.

Any thoughts on what could actually be wrong or maybe someone here has gone through it and needed to replace parts? Thanks in advance for any and all help with this!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Check out this page: Mimaki USB Driver and update the USB driver if there's a newer version available. I would also see if there are any updates to Rasterlink. That's where I would start anyway. It could be the main board/USB port but I like to start with the easy cheap stuff first. I do recommend a USB cable shorter than 15 feet with no hubs/repeaters in line as well as they tend to add failure points.

FrankW

It happens since you moved the printer to an other location? Check if there are magnetic fields nearby, for example an electric motor which starts working inbetween, or other possible issues with external interference. Use a good quality shielded cable.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It happens since you moved the printer to an other location? Check if there are magnetic fields nearby, for example an electric motor which starts working inbetween, or other possible issues with external interference. Use a good quality shielded cable.
That and there is a cable between the main board and slider board that Mimaki eventually beefed up due to magnetic fields messing with the communication. Might be related.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Now our power in this building sometimes gets shut off or it flicks off and back on during bad wind or if they're doing construction, so my thought is that maybe that affected the USB port or main board even though the machine is plugged into a GFI outlet and a powerstrip.
Might a moderate UPS (or several), supplying the printer, PC and repeaters cover you for brief outages? We had an old server and phone system that would reboot/glitch all the time, that became well behaved with a UPS. Other kit would be fine, but some things would reboot, after the building lights flickered. Just needed to span the power transients.

• Agree
Reactions: AM

AM

Well, my desk IS right in front of 3 air conditioning units... And the printer is next to one of them less than a foot, which is also where the power and usb, etc. is on the printer. I had thought that could be an issue, but again, it was working fine without issue after it was moved and it has been sitting in the same spot. Nothing has changed in the environment since I moved the printer.

Our tech said that I can send the main board to him for testing to see if there is actually something wrong with the physical board itself. More than likely, we will go this route.

Funny thing is, I had to print something this morning and cut out a lot of lines on a vinyl job and it has done everything without a hitch. Again, this stuff is completely random. It also never stops in the middle of a huge cutting job.