• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cjv3-130.anyone have this mimaki?solvent vs eco? ccmmyykk vs cmyklclm?

ironchef

Im looking to buy a mimaki cjv3 54in. With the dx5 print head, anyone have any tips, or advise, or is dx4 the way to go?
Also... solvent vs eco solvent inks? Im very concerned about health reasons, but i hear theres not many profiles for the eco solvent inks,...

And any advise on which ink setup to use? I know double cmyk is for production, but how much faster? And does the lc lm setup giver better colors?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
LcLm give zero extra color, adding more of the same colors cannot expand the color gamut. It just gives barely perceptable smoother gradients. How much faster is dual CMYK? Roughly twice as fast. DX4 head tech is over 10 years old and requires 4 heads, much more complicated alignment, more maintenance, more to go wrong. DX5 heads have all 4 channels in one head virtually eliminating alignment and registration issues and is a much newer technology. If you are worried about odor and being eco friendly go with an HP latex although I'd argue that needing dual 240v to cook the inks is truly any more enviormentally friendly.... less odor though, well you do get the smell of cooking vinyl with latex. I know it is not fashionable to say so but solvent is far far far from dead or going away. There is the odor and VOC's though and you do need setup proper exhaust but solvent has many many years of proven performance and reliability. Be it solvent, so called eco-solvent, latex or whatever, canned profiles will never be as good as having a colrimeter and creating your own... Mimaki's are long known time tested proven workhorses. Cannot hardly go wrong with one. My 2 cents....

ironchef

Thanks, i was also looking at a roland versacamm, but mimaki is winning me over...although versaworks looks easier to rip. Im sure ill catch on. So theres no problem finding profiles for mimaki oem inks or a third party ink for mimaki?

Out There

I run a CJV30-130 with SS21 inks CMYK 2X and I vent mine outside. I have a pretty small shop area and it got a little unbearable until I got the venting setup.

Depending on what RIP you plan on using, available profiles are abundant. Are they any good? sometimes not, but they work with some tweaking. I'm currently using Rasterlink Pro 5sg, soon to be using Onyx.

Another thought, if you have the space and it has been talked about over and over here, get a separate printer and cutter. I definitely would if I had the space. You would save yourself quite a bit of time.

ironchef

Im glad you brought this up, i was going to post it in the previous threads on the subject, weve been doin vinyl for 15 years, we got two plotters, so yea i hear you on printing and cutting, but i dont need it, im going with an eco solvent system, with a print and cut option, and later on, i will get another, larger graphtec to help on the production point. I really want latex, but ill wait till they get cheaper or with more options

ironchef

O and i forgot to mention, alot of our printed work is non laminated, in our area business change signs a couple times a year.... also we dont do thousands of stickers either, or else id think about the seperate print and cut, most of our bigger jobs will be left to produce at night, and ill leave the printer open during the day for one offs and quick jobs. I think a printer and a seperate cutter is good, but a print/cut plus a second plotter would be optimal. And ill leave the other two plotters for vinyl alone.

ironchef

And yes im going with double cmyk, i was just hoping the white and metallic option would be a better fit, but for now ccmmyykk is the way to go

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If you do not use the white/silver daily they are a nightmare and will constantly clog.... Only go that route if you plan on using those special colors a LOT.

Case

Also the silver cart costs around $250 for 220ml.... If you don't use it, it will end up in your waste bottle in no time....

Case

ironchef

Rasterlink, onyx, etc.... there's alot of rips for mimaki, any thoughts on which one is better? Easier? Ive seen versaworks going at it, and that's easy as hell, especially to print and cut.

booshworks

We use Onyx for most of our wide format printing, but for our Mimaki CJV we use Rasterlink and really have no problem with it.

Our desktop designers just design in Illustrator or Corel and use the FineCut plugins to export to a shared hot folder on the RIP computer in the solvent room.

It's all very flawless, I have 4 people who can export right to the print server, and everything comes out great. Colors are really impressive with Rasterlink (reds are RED, blues are BLUE), and it rips really quick.

We hooked Onyx up but I just wasn't happy with the colors out of the box, so we stuck with Rasterlink and saved an Onyx license fee.