• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV30-160 One magenta channel drops out.

Jan Ritter

Hello to the forum.
I bought a used CJV30-160 a few months ago. Works real good, and I am happy with the results.
I have one problem. Some times one of the magenta chanels drops out. Its the magenta on the right hand side when you make a testprint.
When doing a hard clean nothing happens, but with a 10 min. nozzlewash it comes back. Then it will work a few days before it happens again.
Anyone had a simular problem and can tell me what to do?
Thanks in advance.

Jan

Impact1

Wide Format Technical Solutions
I would start with replacing the Damper and possibly the cap. These are consumable parts that need to be replaced periodically. Dampers help filter out ink contaminants before the ink enters the print head. Clogged dampers can cause ink starvation or dropouts.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's a common issue with the CJV30 model after a while the cap slider tends to wear out and it doesn't make proper contact with the cap anymore so the right most channel drops out. Check out this cap and slider we have available. It should fix the issue.

Jan Ritter

Hello again.
Still have problems with my magenta. This is what I have done: Bought a complete capslider from digiprint (says its the original Mimaki one (with cap). Changed damper, and bought a new magenta ink (mimaki SS21) When changing slider I got the magenta (right side) back. Started printing a banner, and after about 5 foot (1,5 meter) the magenta drops out again. I guess I can get the magenta back again, but not nice to know it can drop out anytime. Any ideas folks?

Jan Ritter

Edit: Changed damper again, got it working perfect for a few feet, then magenta drops out again. This only happens on the right side channel. Left side magenta works fine.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Whenever I run into these ink flow issues on the older Mimakis I just change the ink line out. You can rip your hair out trying to find where the air is getting in or just replace the line and o-rings at each connection and be done with it.

Jan Ritter

Thank you. will look into that. I did switch magenta and cyan dampers, and cyan fired, but magenta did not, so Im sure there is no problem with the head. Do you mean change ink tubing from the cartridge side all the way to the head?
Any special procedure for doing that? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thank you. will look into that. I did switch magenta and cyan dampers, and cyan fired, but magenta did not, so Im sure there is no problem with the head. Do you mean change ink tubing from the cartridge side all the way to the head?
Any special procedure for doing that? Any help will be highly appreciated.
Yes all the way from the cartridge to the damper. I usually manually drain the line by taking the ink cartridge out, opening the valve in the back of the cartridge holder, and then suck the ink out with a syringe from the damper side. Then I disconnect the line from where it connects to the ink cartridge holder, butt the new line up to the end of the old line, tape it together so that it looks like one continuous line, and then pull it through from the damper side. Once the new line comes through, cut it to about the same length as the old one was to connect it to the damper and you're good to go. There is also about a 3" piece of line that connects the 2 magenta lines and I usually replace that as well. I usually change out the o-rings at each connection as well.

Edit: Forgot to add, just use the syringe to refill the line and damper with the valve open or run a bunch of cleanings but that wastes ink.

Jan Ritter

When opening the valve I press function/remote at startup, go into test, cartridges, valve.. (something like that) then I go to the number of cartridge I want to open. Is it open when it shows 0, or when its just a dot?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When opening the valve I press function/remote at startup, go into test, cartridges, valve.. (something like that) then I go to the number of cartridge I want to open. Is it open when it shows 0, or when its just a dot?
I would just tape the valve open. That way you don't have to work on it with the power on. It's counter intuitive but to open the valve you push it so slapping a piece of tape on there will open it and keep it open.