• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV30-160 Printhead Issue

UB Studios

Would you buy a used CJV30-160 with a bad Printhead?

Looking at purchasing my first print/cut/solvent printer and a shop I know is closing up and selling his CJV for $8k. Said the black printhead needs to be replaced as black ink isnt getting thru and printing gray. Im sure I can replace the head myself, what im unsure about is - When one printhead is replaced, do they all usually need to be replaced? If its not the printhead, whats the potential cost of repair? I haven't asked the print hrs/usage, and haven't checked the cutter accuracy, but Is there anything else I should look for? I dont want to miss out on a potential deal but I dont want to buy a can of worms either. Thank you for your time and any advice /knowledge you can throw my way.

Last edited:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
There is no "black" print head. The CJV machines use a single 8 channel DX5 print head. The black print head is also the cyan, magenta, and yellow print head. You cannot replace just one of the colors. If you go with an OEM Mimaki head you are looking at around $2000. Yes it is also pretty easy to replace it yourself and unlike the older generation machines which used 4 individual heads alignment is by far much simpler. This generation machine is also much easier to maintain.

UB Studios

Thanks for the clarity and taking the time to reply. I wasnt sure if it was a single head or not. If its not the printhead, could it be something way more costly? Ive read about caps /dampers... After looking for the past few weeks/months, its look to be good price point taking +2k into consideration. Would you buy a used printer needing a printhead replacement? If so what else would you look at before purchase?

There is no "black" print head. The CJV machines use a single 8 channel DX5 print head. The black print head is also the cyan, magenta, and yellow print head. You cannot replace just one of the colors. If you go with an OEM Mimaki head you are looking at around $2000. Yes it is also pretty easy to replace it yourself and unlike the older generation machines which used 4 individual heads alignment is by far much simpler. This generation machine is also much easier to maintain.

visiongfx

Contact Kent at support@macmedia.com they have always had great prices for me on replacement parts. I do believe the main board can be overheating to cause the black to drop out like that. Talk to those guys and good luck.

Robert M

Cap top

Have the guy change out the cap top, that may bring the black channel back. How old is that printer? a new one with two sets of inks and a warranty can be had for 15k

UB Studios

Have the guy change out the cap top, that may bring the black channel back. How old is that printer?

The printer is 2 yrs old, and looks to be in perfect condition minus the print quality issues. I picked it up yesterday and it's now sitting in my shop. Im hoping to install all the drivers + raster link tmrw and see If i can figure it out. Im not sure how mimakis work, but my hp has a printhead recovery function built into the menu. Is there such a function in the maintenance menu built in that I can try. I personally feel its just a clog or needs a flush since the owner said he primarily used it for cutting and rarely printed. It's setup as cmykx2 and the print test prints every color except the K channel. will the cap change do the trick? Thanks again for all the help, anyone else in the Chicago area. I could use some help speeding up the learning curve.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If it has the cleaning solution cartridge in the single slot behind the control panel end and that has any solution in it try an overnight head soak. Function>Maintenance>St Maintanance>Nozzle Wash> enter. After it gives you an opportunity to clean the wiper hit enter again, it will now be asking for how long to soak. Press the function button and it should dispense cleaning fluid from that single cartridge into the capping top. Might have to hit function a couple of times to get the cap full. Then use the arrows and set how long to soak the head. 99 minutes is the max, to soak overnight set it to whatever and when it parks the head over the cap then shut the side power switch off.

It will not hurt the head to let it soak overnight a few times. If the cleaning solution cartridge is missing or empty you can also just fill the capping top with some solvent cleaning solution manually with a dropper to soak the nozzles. If ink is still full in the black dampers you have a good chance of recovering the black channels unless there is some other issue. Other issues could be air leaks (in the capping top, ink lines, dampers, joints, or head manifold), or an electrical issue. Also - keep in mind, these machines use a negative pressure sealed ink system and ink flow to the head is controlled by solenoid valves behind the cartridge slots. So - simply taking a syringe to the lines and trying to pull ink through will NOT work unless you first open a cartridge solenoid valve (manually or in the service menu).

Dig in the JV33 bible thread and find the updated link to download the JV33 bible. The CJV30 (aside from the cutter functionality) is identical to a JV33. So anything related to the ink train, heads, etc you can also search for things for the JV33 and the same information will apply.