• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV30-160 Y Axis OverCurrent:AVE - HELP!

RobCompton

I bought this machine last year s/h from a dispersal sale with the intention of using it for signs & labels related to my work. It worked OK for quite a few jobs until before xmas when I went to use it after about two months of doing nothing.
The head travels from the left (if I move it over there by hand when it's off) to the right quite happily until it reaches the cap unit when it suddenly stops, springing a little to the left before the beep of doom arrives with the error code on the display.
With it switched off the head moves left and right without an issue until it gets to the cap when it requires some extra force to get it to the locking latch. A fair bit of extra force in fact.
The cap assembly moves freely, so it's not that.
There is nothing in the way that I can see.
Any ideas anyone, before I get someone in who knows what they're doing?!!?
Kind Regards
Rob

RobCompton

As a "you never know", I unplugged the Y Origin Sensor to see if it threw up a different error - and it did. On plugging it back in it's burst back into life! Hussar!
Will be performing a full flush and clean on Wednesday as it's been waiting for me to fix it for some months, and I dare bet the heads are bunged up!!
So, that's the Y Origin Sensor here:

1704739913732.png

Smoke_Jaguar

My experience with overcurrent errors tend to be when the head bumps into something or gets jammed. The drive motor will pull more power when stuck, and thus the error trips. Usually clears up on reset. Common when people leave something in the way of the head carriage or forget to remove shipping locks for the carriage. Good idea to take a quick glance at belts, tensioner/idlers and make sure everything looks to be in good shape every couple of months.

Ogre

I had a similar problem and I found out that it was the capping that was out of alignment. Check the capping position just in case. Also check for any build up of dust and ink at the capping station.
Another idea is to check what the service manual says:
Turn off the main power, and turn it on a little later.
If the error occurs again, carry out the followings.
1. Check friction of X (Y) -axis motor.
2. Check if media attaches on the platen. Media Attachment to the Platen ( See 7.2.2 ).
3. Replace the X (Y)-axis motor.
4. Replace the regenerative resistivity PCB assy. (See 6.5.2)
5. Replace the main PCB assy. (See 3.4.1)

RobCompton

I had a similar problem and I found out that it was the capping that was out of alignment. Check the capping position just in case. Also check for any build up of dust and ink at the capping station.
Another idea is to check what the service manual says:
Turn off the main power, and turn it on a little later.
If the error occurs again, carry out the followings.
1. Check friction of X (Y) -axis motor.
2. Check if media attaches on the platen. Media Attachment to the Platen ( See 7.2.2 ).
3. Replace the X (Y)-axis motor.
4. Replace the regenerative resistivity PCB assy. (See 6.5.2)
5. Replace the main PCB assy. (See 3.4.1)
Thanks for that. Checking the capping position was one of the things I'd done before, as I posted, I'd ruled that one out by checking the capping unit for correct position and free movement.
It does require a cap replacement as it's at that point in its life, but otherwise it's in the right place.

As for the service manual, issues like mine only happen with age, so wouldn't have been considered when it was written. I dare bet if I'd inspected the connectors I would find evidence of tarnishing, and the process of unplugging and plugging back in cleaned it off the contact points.

Of course it may all be a red herring and something else was the real cause of the issue. All I know is that it works now!