• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning finished prints

buildexperience

What do you normally use to clean a finished flat bed print?
We have a Fuji Acuity, and our primary business is trade shows. We ran into a problem where a labor crew used Windex to clean finger prints off a finished panel. It didn't completely remove the ink but it did leave some ghosting behind.

We have been using warm water, and if needed, mix in some mild soap. But at shows this is hard to enforce. What other common cleaning products can be used and not harm the print?

AF

How about protecting the prints with liquid laminate, then it doesn't matter so much how the end user abuses..er..cleans them? Not sure how your ink would like the liquid lam, but its easy to test.

buildexperience

We've considered a liquid lam. But in all the different printers we looked at, every rep told us that there's no need to put any type of overlam on a direct print. Granted, this information was coming from salesman, so take that with a grain of salt. We used to farm out direct prints and none of or vendors used any type of laminate. I mean if that's what it comes down to then we may have to do that, but trying to avoid it if possible.

player

We've considered a liquid lam. But in all the different printers we looked at, every rep told us that there's no need to put any type of overlam on a direct print. Granted, this information was coming from salesman, so take that with a grain of salt. We used to farm out direct prints and none of or vendors used any type of laminate. I mean if that's what it comes down to then we may have to do that, but trying to avoid it if possible.

Wrong.

CanuckSigns

When a salesman tell you there is "no need to" do something, it means it's not needed for the machine to run. we were told there is no need to laminate prints off our roland, which is technically true, but we still laminate 95% of what we print.

Call back and ask for a quote on a laminator, see how fast his tune changes and all of a sudden you "really should laminate everything you print, you know for protection and piece of mind"

Salesmen....

jdmage_mx5

We have used watered down Simple Green before with good results. You have to be prepared to wipe the whole print down though. If you try to just clean a small area it will leave a streak.