• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning Solution

morty87

Hello,

What is the best cleaning solution for maintenance. I bought my machine used an it came with a bottle of solution but it had mistakenly been thrown out also is it grease grease for the rail, etc? I do have the lint free q-tips, but just not sure about the best liquid/grease to use. I have the mutoh 1624.

Thank you

ikarasu

I've got a lot of cap, and spit solution for Seiko ecosolvents you can have if you want. Our solvents on its last legs and we have a ton of supplies I'll just be dumping. I'd double check to make sure they don't harm your mutoh...but I don't see why they would.

I believe our local dealer for.mutohs is only Canadian sign supplies. Call them up and they can get you the official solution you'd need.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/fellers/production/documents/Mutoh_Cleaner_V6_MSDS.pdf

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Synthetic grease. I am a field tech and this is what I use below. You can find it in most hardware stores. Make sure to clean the rails with alcohol first and then only apply a very thin layer of grease. Too much can splash up on the encoder and cause issues. I work on many machines per year and I don't even go through 1 tube.

super-lube-lubricants-grease-funnels-21030-64_1000.jpg

morty87

I've got a lot of cap, and spit solution for Seiko ecosolvents you can have if you want. Our solvents on its last legs and we have a ton of supplies I'll just be dumping. I'd double check to make sure they don't harm your mutoh...but I don't see why they would.

I believe our local dealer for.mutohs is only Canadian sign supplies. Call them up and they can get you the official solution you'd need.

Yea I bought this mutoh from them

Ya i started with a epson gs6000 an it came with the solution for cleaning but i bought this mutoh from CSS but i thought he said the cost for the solution was 170 an that didn't seem right? I thought it was just alcohol as its just for cleaning around the heads an such? Maybe I am way off...i probably am. lol

Joe House

It's not "just alcohol". I've seen alcohol gel up solvent inks. You don't want that to happen in your ink train. It's ok for cleaning overspray off the platen or cleaning your encoder strip. Get the correct cleaning fluid from your vendor.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I thought it was just alcohol

Don't use alcohol! It will dry out the rubber and make maintenance parts fail prematurely. It will also coagulate if it touches the ink so keep it away from your head. $170 for cleaning solution doesn't sound right. It should be more like $35. Here is a link to the cleaning solution we sell. We don't recommend it for flushing a print head but it works great for cleaning maintenance parts.

morty87

Don't use alcohol! It will dry out the rubber and make maintenance parts fail prematurely. It will also coagulate if it touches the ink so keep it away from your head. $170 for cleaning solution doesn't sound right. It should be more like $35. Here is a link to the cleaning solution we sell. We don't recommend it for flushing a print head but it works great for cleaning maintenance parts.
Yes, I knew it wasn't alcohol but i just thought the price i had been told was way to high. They may have been talking about the cleaning cartridges. Either way I thank you for the help :)

ikarasu

Check the msds.i linked. It's 3 diff.vhemicals... 40/40/20 mixture. You could probably make your own with the list... But it should be cheap. We pay 100ish for 3 bottles.

Our flatbed encoder strip gets cleaned with alcohol... Manual actually says to. I try to water it down more than it already is just to be safe. But yeah... When you have an expensive machine that's going to cost you $3-400 per tech visit + parts to repair whatever you broke... It's best to follow the manual and only use recommended supplies.

I know someone who was cleaning a Printhead and got a drop of solution where he shouldn't... And his 2 year old machine was fried and he had to buy a new printer. Sometimes saving a penny here and there will hurt you in the long run.

RustyNZ

I'd strongly suggest you use the fluid designed for your machine only, definitely don't just use some other machines fluid unless you know it's exactly the same chemicals.