• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clogged head photos

Tyler Durden

Hey Guys,
I am new to this forum, looking forward a more active forum.

I have a pic here from my cyan head off of my 545-ex. It was printing really crappy with alot of overspray outside of print area.

From what I can see so far, these shiny spot on the nozzles may be some sort of delamination of the nozzle surface. That is my first guess.
That may explain the amount of overcasting I am seeing.

I have tried to clean it and even used an airbrush to "micro powerwash it". Nothing seems to phase these spots.

I'm just looking for your opinions on what this is, and if you have seen this before? At some angles they apear shiny mettalic.

Also, Do you guys know of a good source for the replacement printheads. I see a lot on ebay but I don't know how the quality might be.

Attachments

• IMG_5927.jpg
    IMG_5927.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_5929.jpg
    IMG_5929.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 234

4R Graphics

I wouldnt worry about the spots on the head I have seen this on other heads that worked fine.

You need to push flush through the head and see the shower coming out and that will show you if you have clogged nozzles or deflections and roughlly where they are.

Now when you push flush through the head with a syringe you need to be careful not enough pressure and you dont see the shower to much and you blow out the head(destroy it) so do it at your own risk I take no responsibility if you break it.

Side note the DX4 heads(the one you have) are a little tougher than the DX5 heads I have broken 2 DX5 heads pushing flush through them but I have never broken a DX4 head and I have flushed DX4 heads at least 20 or 30 times We use to do it anytime we started to see deflections that would not clear up with head soakes and cleanings (it would usually clear them up well 70% of the time unless it was from a head strike).

Good luck.

As for heads on ebay I have bought a couple try to stay away from china ones as some of those companies are well shady and it can take a few weeks sometimes for it to ship in.

You can call george at solventinksonline.com he is a pretty good guy and if he has it in stock will usually ship it that day he is in Miami florida which is a one day ship for me.

Tyler Durden

Thanks for the reply and info.

I ordered a microscope that hooks to the computer, hopefully I can get some good close ups of what these spots are, also getting a ultrasonic cleaner to try that Out.

SIROD

I wouldnt worry about the spots on the head I have seen this on other heads that worked fine.

You need to push flush through the head and see the shower coming out and that will show you if you have clogged nozzles or deflections and roughlly where they are.

Now when you push flush through the head with a syringe you need to be careful not enough pressure and you dont see the shower to much and you blow out the head(destroy it) so do it at your own risk I take no responsibility if you break it.

Side note the DX4 heads(the one you have) are a little tougher than the DX5 heads I have broken 2 DX5 heads pushing flush through them but I have never broken a DX4 head and I have flushed DX4 heads at least 20 or 30 times We use to do it anytime we started to see deflections that would not clear up with head soakes and cleanings (it would usually clear them up well 70% of the time unless it was from a head strike).

Good luck.

As for heads on ebay I have bought a couple try to stay away from china ones as some of those companies are well shady and it can take a few weeks sometimes for it to ship in.

You can call george at solventinksonline.com he is a pretty good guy and if he has it in stock will usually ship it that day he is in Miami florida which is a one day ship for me.

I'll do, sorry but I think the life of your head is over. I've seen hundreds of DX4 and when it's so deflected and with that shiny areas is really difficult to recover.

Only way I could did, sometimes, is with a profesional cleaner, making some reverse cleaning cycles over the head.
But remember DX4 is easy to harm so you have not to apply much pressure.

There have been some older posts about using an ultrasonic parts cleaner on the heads...think you can get them from under $20 at harbor freight...I've never done this but sounds promising..

But I would try forcing flush through the heads with syringe...its a pretty neat spray effect