• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Cloud Storage? Do you use it?

BluetailGFX

Journeyman
A friend of mine in the mid-west, that runs a large corporate shop, just had their entire company's IT system jacked by ransomware. They did not pay the requested 7 figure amount in bitcoin to regain access to their files. Instead they created a new system and migrated to cloud usage. Huge mess company wide. Fresh hard drives in every workstation.

The graphic shop has moved to back up storage on the cloud as well. They luckily only lost a few clients newer projects and a folder of old completed work photos due to a manual back up recently.

So I am very curious, anybody using cloud storage for your files? Who are you using? I have started looking at the main largest options of course like AWS and Google.

I am currently only storing around 7TB of files, but I could of course trim that down a bit.

WildWestDesigns

Cloud storage as a means of redundant back up is ok, but don't have it as your only backup and don't just backup to devices that have a perpetual WAN connection.

I've read where people were hit by ransomeware that came from the software that they use to backup to their cloud backup provider (provider was hit with ransomeware and there software was used to infect their customers).

I have absolutely no love for cloud services, none, I don't expect them to have the same zeal that I do with protection of my data.

You want to use it as a form of backup...fine, but I would make sure that you have another device that is isolated from everything after each backup session. I would not trust just one form of backup regardless of cloud or local (external HD) or LAN backup (your own server).

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I personally only use cloud-based storage for frequently used files. Cloud storage is convenient, but it can get costly if you have to store terabytes worth of data there. And then you need a working Internet connection to access the data. Cloud services aren't bullet-proof either. I'm pretty wary about storing anything with sensitive, private data in the cloud.

I maintain back-ups on multiple external hard discs on-premise and off-premise. Ransomware is one very real threat. But hardware failures, like the boot hard disc going bad, happen more often. Other in person problems also pose a threat to your data. The building could burn down to the ground and immolate all the computers and discs stored inside. A tornado could plow through the place, yielding the same horrible result. Thieves can break into the building and steal anything not bolted down, including your computers and external hard drives.

BluetailGFX

Journeyman
........You want to use it as a form of backup...fine, but I would make sure that you have another device that is isolated from everything after each backup session. I would not trust just one form of backup regardless of cloud or local (external HD) or LAN backup (your own server).

.............. But hardware failures, like the boot hard disc going bad, happen more often. Other in person problems also pose a threat to your data. The building could burn down to the ground and immolate all the computers and discs stored inside. A tornado could plow through the place, yielding the same horrible result. Thieves can break into the building and steal anything not bolted down, including your computers and external hard drives.

I run Dual NAS drives, 12TB per, one mirrors the other, both with their own RAID 5 redundancy. Each has a different encryption password as well.
The physical NAS's are for the added safety of unplug, grab and go, since I am right at Cape Kennedy and hurricanes are a yearly thing to deal with.

The cloud thought would be just for security redundancy, since I already know that I get targeted due to some of my clients and my location. Loads of local contractors near the space program have foreign IP's "trying" their local networks security around here. I am sure the same thing happens in California and Houston too.
Years ago our IT guy showed the logs of all the attempted logins trying to gain access to our old servers. He said they would see the same thing happening at other local large construction contractors tied to the program as well.

Not sure if people expect to find satellite or rocket diagrams and secrets, sitting in a sign shops file storage or what LOL.......

Just the cost of storing everything would be like $1200-1500 per year.

WildWestDesigns

The cloud thought would be just for security redundancy, since I already know that I get targeted due to some of my clients and my location. Loads of local contractors near the space program have foreign IP's "trying" their local networks security around here.

None of my servers see WAN at all.

Becareful with mirrors, something happens to one, it could be mirrored on the other.

Is your RAID hardware or software based?

BluetailGFX

Journeyman
None of my servers see WAN at all.

Becareful with mirrors, something happens to one, it could be mirrored on the other.

Is your RAID hardware or software based?
They are hardware I would guess, since they each hold 6 HD's, but only utilize 5 for the RAID 5 configuration. The NAS's have the ability for remote access, however I have never enabled that feature.

WildWestDesigns

They are hardware I would guess, since they each hold 6 HD's, but only utilize 5 for the RAID 5 configuration.

No, some NASs use a RAID controller (AKA Disc Array Controller) and that handles how things are presented to the computer. That would be hardware based RAID. NASs like Qnap for instance. NASs that use say FreeNAS does it via their OS services (FreeNAS being the OS), software based RAID.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have local, Local NAS, and Google Drive (w/ redundancy to OneDrive, and Crashplan). We have unlimited Google drive with our GSuite plan and are using 25TBs, OneDrive syncs company data while Crashplan syncs client data.

ikarasu

Google drive... Unlimited data for $10 (50 if you want to do it properly with the 5 accounts Google says is needed for unlimited...but I have it on good authority they don't care if you use 1 acct) or how mu h data you use ;)

For 99% of.people this is sufficient enough to backup to. It's not a proper backup solution in a techs eyes... But it's better than nothing, cheap, and everyone should do it. 90% of shops don't have an it department even, just backing up to Google is light years better than most shops do.

If you want to do it properly however...get a Nas and backup to that. Have it auto upload to Google any new file. Keep a offline copy on an external as well, keep it away from your shop incase something happens to your shop. Then you'll have true protection incase of a life event / ransom ware.

But.... Again. Just a cheap $10 a month backup to Google will be sufficient enough for 99% of cases everyone on here would deal with.

Attachments

• 0E20EC77-E794-40D2-8987-F1276D93522D.png
    0E20EC77-E794-40D2-8987-F1276D93522D.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 147

WildWestDesigns

Google drive...

If going this route, I would suggest encrypting your files before backing up to GDrive. There are some things that I do like the convenience of GDrive for, but I certainly wouldn't store anything that you for sure wouldn't like to take the chance of prying eyes finding out without encrypting it.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Cloud backup is very useful. We use gsuite. Have local Nas drives with raids pushing backups to the cloud.

Every once in a while, download some of the really important stuff at home or save it to a thumb drive for added redundancy.

victor bogdanov

My cutter and printer computers have their network devices disabled and have not seen the world wide web in years, all files are tranfered to those computers on a USB drive as needed.

Main computer is backed up with Carbonite and backblaze and I create an image to an external HD every week or so.

This has saved me from a few failing hd and ssd but luckily no virus ar Ransome ware stuff.

I think the do not connect your cutting/printing comps to the internet is a fail proof way to stay safe. My oldest comp is still windows 7 with cs4, I just have to remember to save files as cs4 for that computer

IsItFasst

I used CrashPlan for years which worked great but they went away from small plans like I use. So ended up with iDrive which works great too. Back up locally and off-site. Would hate to lose everything in a fire or theft which is why I backup to the cloud and not just locally. Cheap insurance.

Yeahgor

Born to be The Designer.
As the logic of choosing the cloud data service we always should keep in mind the interface compatibility with the Project Management system, we use in our company. Yes, most of the best Project Management system is also cloud-based and works with most cloud data services, however not all of them works properly.
Can you guys show your experience in combinations between the Cloud Project Management system and cloud data storage?

P.S. My experience on this is not so perfect. By some internal traditional reasons we use the Dropbox as data storage and last few months, we combine it with BaseCamp as a Project management solution. So far it works the BaseCamp Ok with internal data storage space and I understand that in case the number of orders will increase we will face extra payment or regular cleaning ... the time will shows.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My cutter and printer computers have their network devices disabled and have not seen the world wide web in years, all files are tranfered to those computers on a USB drive as needed.

Main computer is backed up with Carbonite and backblaze and I create an image to an external HD every week or so.

This has saved me from a few failing hd and ssd but luckily no virus ar Ransome ware stuff.

I think the do not connect your cutting/printing comps to the internet is a fail proof way to stay safe. My oldest comp is still windows 7 with cs4, I just have to remember to save files as cs4 for that computer
Switch from Carbonite to Google drive (backup and sync) you'll save 90%.

I used to sell carbonite plans, its great software but there are things out there that cost much less.

Yeahgor

Born to be The Designer.
Switch from Carbonite to Google drive (backup and sync) you'll save 90%.
I used to sell carbonite plans, its great software but there are things out there that cost much less.

Yes! Thank you. I knew that I can find some real good advice on this branch.