• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cloudy 3M 8518

Rooster

The last little bit of a roll I just finished left a pretty cloudy appearance when I applied it to a solid black sign face.

This isn't silvering which I'm familiar with, but instead it's like the actual laminate has a cloudy appearance, which was only on the very end of the roll.

Has anybody seen this before? Will it go away like silvering does, or do you think it's a permanent thing?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Our 8518s have had the same issue the last few feet on a roll as well. Youre not the only one noticing it.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Yes about 3 times....the last 10 or 15 feet of my 8518 had that look to it. It looks like it was roughed up a bit...and if you look at it from a distance...there's an angled pattern to it.

Rooster

I've had it so bad on 8519 (throughout the whole roll) that I brought the roll back.

I found it doesn't go away on it's own but if you carefully hit it with some heat it will go away.

Seeing as how it's on a solid black signface, do you think that a day in the sun might make it go away?

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
What liner does this have? The coated paper or clear poly? I've noticed rolls I get that have the paper liner have this mottling, but the new clear liner doesn't have this problem. (although it is a bit difficult to get off/setup in the laminator)